Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

baby ceral?

my son is 3 1/2 months and he has been eating every 30mins. i am breastfeeding. is it time for baby ceral . he usually sleeps threw the night but here lately he has been waking up hungry

what should i do

Favorite Answer

Talk to your pediatrician about when to start cereal and what kind they suggest. You are asking people without a medical degree about the health of your child, as for me I would a little more confident with the advice of the doctor.

Every 30 minutes? You need to call the pediatrician. That is not right. You may not be producing enough milk. Try pumping if you haven't already and see how much you are getting. If you are getting enough, then I would say you are feeding too often. You should only need to nurse every 2-3 hours. Maybe try a tiny bit of cereal at night with the last feeding. Maybe a TBSP or less to start.

• Gina

My neice did that too. I watched her for the whole summer and she was constantly eating. It's normal, you're son is just growing. But maybe try feeding him more at once... during a feeding feed him 2 or 4 extra ounces. But before bed feed him till he won't feed anymore, then when he wakes up feed him extra too. My neice did this and was still underweight up until she was 6 months, so don't worry about him gaining excess baby weight. If you are really concerned after that then contact a doctor.

I started my son on cereal at 4 months because it seemed like he was always eating. You should try it but don't over do it, give him some and wait a day or so. Sometimes it makes them constipated so you'll want to wait and see how that goes too.

• Ms. Q

I think you should start giving him some cereal, start with the rice or oatmeal, they said to start around 4 months, and you are only 2 weeks away which is not far and this will help your child, becuase he is growing.

No cereal yet! Continue to give your baby breastmilk only for the next couple of months. In fact if you try to give him cereal in a bottle there is a significant risk of aspiration. If you don't trust that I say this, consult your pediatrician before you start.

They say not to feed him cereal till they are 4 months but since he's so close to being that age I'd give him some cereal. Start out with rice cereal.

you could give him baby cereal at about 4 months doctors say its ok but not the health clinic i fed mine cereal at 4 months its up to you he will sleep better though for sure. hope this helps.

you should try it but not a lot of it just 1 or 2 times a day

i waited until 6 months to start mine on cereal, but my cousin started feeding her baby cereal after 1 month. it all really depends on what you feel is right. talk it over with your pediatrictian.