Hair dying okay?

I'm a little over 3 months pregnant, and just wondering if there really is any problems with dying my hair. I have quite a few friends who dyed their hair multiple times during their pregnancy and nothing went wrong; i just don't want to take any risks.

• Favorite Answer

http://www.netwellness.org/

Is it safe to dye my hair while pregnant?

There are conflicting reports about the safety of hair dye during pregnancy: Several studies found no ill effects on pregnant rodents given 100 times the typical human dose of these products, whereas British researchers reported chromosome damage among women who dyed their hair. Although this study was not conducted on pregnant women, this finding suggests that there may be some risk to coloring your hair while pregnant.

As a precaution, some physicians advise you to avoid hair color until after your first trimester (the period when your baby's vital organs, head, body and limbs form). Colorants made from vegetable dyes such as henna are preferable to the chemical dyes used in permanent and semi-permanent formulas. Recent studies indicate that hair dyes contain relatively high levels of bio-available lead acetate that can be harmful to the fetus, particularly the nervous system and brain. Check the product label and avoid lead based hair products.

Source(s): *ButterFlyAngel*