1976 Five Hundred Balboa Gold Coin?

How much is a 1976 Five Hundred Balboa Gold Coin of the Republic of Panama worth? It contains 41.7 grams of 900/1000 fine gold. Is it worth anything beyond the value of its gold?

Favorite Answer

The whole coin weighs 41.7 g and has actual gold weight of 1.2067 oz . I usually deal with older coins, so my book is from 2001 on this. Then it booked for $526.00 which is kind of telling me, it booked for a little more than it's gold value. I doubt that has changed. Looks like they minted 2,169 of them in proof. There are 2 rare varieties of this coin, both having to do with the type of finish. One is a matte finish they struck 10 and one with a special uncirculated finish, they struck 160. The coins were struck by the Franklin Mint here in the USA.

Source(s): 46 years a numismatist, Krause/Mishler Standard Catalog of World Coins 1900-2000,2001 edition

There is one for sale on Ebay for $1000

Source(s): EBAY