do you believe in magic?

magic, not as in abbra cadabbra, but like witches, witchcraft, fate, destiny, or any other such metaphysical/paranormal thing... do you believe that you have ever encountered anything like this. now i realize that witchcraft and destiny are completly different in there relevence to one another, but it kind of goes together as i am just looking for your general opinion on the topic. just curious, and thanks.

Favorite Answer

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart

How the music can free her, whenever it starts

And it's magic, if the music is groovy

It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie

I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul

But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose

If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues

Just go and listen it'll start with a smile

It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try

Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find

How you got there, so just blow your mind

If you believe in magic, come along with me

We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me

And maybe, if the music is right

I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night

And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see

How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic

Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul

Believe in the magic of rock and roll

Believe in the magic that can set you free

Ohh, talking 'bout magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe, believer

[Fade]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Casey

I believe in esoteric/occult magic. And I believe, but can't prove that it has an existence outside of the realms of psychology. ie I feel spells don't need the recipient to believe in the existence of magic, only that the caster believes it'll work. If you say otherwise explain how weather magic, and other spells which affect that which are normally perceived to be "inanimate systems" work? Statement saying the recipient has to believe as well as the caster, would mean that the weather has to believe in magic! Think a hard distinction between magic being described as white or black misses a lot out. As I feel magic is only a tool, and therefore doesn't have any intrinsic alignment. A blade can be put to a good use (surgery), but it can also be put to a bad use (stabbing someone) It's only the intent/effects of it's use that could be determined to be black or white. Even then the terms black/white are increasingly being seen as non-PC, and are often replaced with the terms negative and positive. --- A lot of what Wheatly talks about is simply a pile of "headline grabbing" rubbish tying into peoples preconceived ideas. Perhaps try to see the 1971 film "Simon King of The Witches" (even though the magic shown is largely the rarely practised mesmerism) Also perhaps try to see Haxan (1922) for a purely physiological explanation (which is also the model which Freud developed which reconed Multiple Sclerosis is physco-somatic, with no physical basis! We know better now)

Well I'm not sure, I've seen so many strange things in my life ( just like everyone else ) and some of'em seem like magical or supernatural stuff... but after a while things start to make sense.

For example I may never know how I "remember" some things just as they are happening for the first time or why some of my small wishes seem to be granted pretty quickly ( making me a little scared of wishful thinking ) heck, I don't even know how my fear of darkness and heights both disappeared together... but I know that no one is supposed to know everything there is to know !!!

If you wanna call that magic, be my guest... for me it's enough to know that everything can be explained somehow. Know what I mean ? Everything I do as a programmer is "magic" ( or something similar ) to a computer end-user, but to me it's all clear and understandable, nothing's "magic" about it...

I believe in "magick" or different kinds of things as they relate to Wicca, Pagan rites and Shamanism, yes. As a one-time Wiccan (now Buddhist) who still works with divination, I can attest that these kinds of things are possible as long as the person knows what they're doing and are careful in how they do it. There's danger in not having skills in control because of things that can go wrong (the Catholic Church isn't stupid, just the way they say things about "demonic" possessions, the Mass, exoricisms and the like, all THEY did was rob the idea and cornered the market by force for a time). I'm one of the biggest skeptics on this planet who takes NOTHING by faith... stuff has to be proven to me and/or logically defined and I'm a firm believer in this stuff.

Wicca and such is simply working with the world and it's forces around us (or universal forces if you will... note I use the term "forces" lightly because I don't believe in "creator gods") to try to affect some kind of "change" somebody wants, like in say... a protection spell or a reading of runes. Destiny, or karma, as I call it, is based on things you've already DONE in previous lives and what you do now affects your future... so for fun think of this... how you use your magick depends on what karmic fate you'll deal with later. *w*

Because of this, as a Buddhist I only stick to divination and healing shamanistic things instead of outright magick to change things... every bit of something you take to make something else happens could rob someone else of something they need, therefore one must exercise such power VERY cautiously and with great respect.

Hope this makes sense,

_()_

• Yes, that stuff is real. I do not recommend it. Many people who get involved is such practices soon suffer terrible consequences. For example, I know a guy who got involved in voddoo. He did a covenant with a spiritual entity because he wanted his girlfriend back. But now his girlfriend is dead and he is constantly possess by demons. When he is posses he speaks in different languages and backwards English. Among other spoky things and his family is also being affected. So do not mess up with these things,not even for curiosity.

Call many incidents coincidence, but I've witnessed witchcraft and spells unfold in "reality." I believe that supernatural powers are in existence, but are a result of a negative entity - Satan. I am a person of faith (Christian) and believe that they are manifestations of the devil. These "wonders" in manipulating destiny (or as I call it, God's plan) take a person away from God. For those of you who do not believe, come live in my shoes as an educator in a town where the HOLY DEATH is worshiped and CURANDERISMO is practiced by the parents of my students. Come and see how we are dealing with pure evil, and situations where not even medical science cannot explain the cause of certain symptoms of people on "spells." See the supernatural results of certain practices that will send chills down your spine. It's real. The answer: stay away from these "magics" and focus on your relationship with God. Believe me. I cannot explain it in words...

Source(s): Biologist and pure experience

Haven't seen any evidence that magic is real. There doesn't seem to be any concensus on what magic is. Search this forum and you'll find people who say they believe in magic but I haven't seen any specifics on what magic is supposed to be or any examples of what it supposedly can do. Search the web. Search the library. Search anywhere and everywhere. If anybody has a scrap of verifiable evidence please post it or email me.

I'm a big fan of Harry Potter but so far as I can tell it's just a movie.

Nope, absolutely not, and I love to see this sort of thing debunked. The world skeptic society has offered (I think) 10 million for anyone who can step forward and prove this stuff. And no one has. ANd these money hungry con-artists would certainly try to get their hands on that money if they could, believe me. There are plenty of good skeptics' sites on the net. Become a skeptic!! It's a sane, rational way to live.

Source(s): Life experience mostly. Any astrological predictions that come true are mere flukes.
  • Witchy

Yes, I was raised on metaphysical beliefs a long time ago. I've seen the results many times.

I know that is can exist but I shun anything of the nature.

Read Deuteronomy 18:10-11

God detests anything of that nature of magic and fortuntelling

Anything that does happen is not of origin of God but of demons.