Wendy H asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why is my indoor male cat now spraying and how do I stop it?

I have an indoor male cat that we found abandoned outside as a kitten and has been inside for almost 8 months. We have no other inside pets but him. He got outside one night and was brought back in the next morning. Now he sits at the window and meows at the stray cats nearby and tonight I caught him spraying. Why is he doing this all of a sudden and how do I stop it. Please help I have two small children and I am concerned. Thank you....

Favorite Answer

I'm guessing he's not neutered. He's growing up and he's marking his territory. He's trying to find mates. The more he marks, the more strays that are going to come to your house, girls looking to mate, boys looking to fight. The only way to stop it is to get him neutered. After he's neutered, he'll be less likely to try to go outside. He'll stop spraying. He won't be able to make any more kittens that don't have homes. And he'll be less likely go get certain cancers. Neutering isn't yoo expensive. It cost me about 40 to get my cat spayed. There are places you can go for low cost neuterings and it'll be less cause my vet did mine. Until you get him neutered, don't let him outside cause he'll make more little kittens that need homes. Get him fixed as soon as possible to help stop his behavior before it really starts.

Has he been neutered yet? If not, this is normal activity, because a cat that is 8 months old is getting to the point of sexual maturity. He is doing it to mark his territory, and seeing cats outside prompts this even further.

If he isn't neutered, you need to get this done ASAP. The problem is you need to neuter before signs of spraying/sexual territorialism appear to have the best chance of success. If you do it after the behavior starts, it's possible the cat will continue to spray, although it should still help a lot.

Also, in the mean time, maybe find a way to close blinds on windows that he can see the cats outside or otherwise block him from seeing this, as it may reduce the behavior somewhat.

This cat is marking its territory because of the other strays, I think you should let him out so he can mark his territory outside instead of inside. He wants out because he sees the other cats. Go with him outside if you have to for an hour or something.

Expect this with most male cats though, if he has a potty box inside put it in the spot where he sprayed for a couple of days and see if he does it again. A spray bottle with water in it, use it when you see him do it. There's also sprays you can get at a pet store that smells bad to cats and they won't spray or scratch in that spot, I've used it and it seems to work.

Source(s): Owner of a 13 year old cat that has done the samething

Last year my beautiful Manx cat Theodore went out for the evening and never came back. I love cats and the house didn't feel the same without one, so I picked up Lola from a rescue centre. She was very frightened and would pee all over the house. I found Cat Spraying No More� on the internet and the techniques worked almost immediately. I haven't had a problem with Lola since. Amazing!

Can't stop your cat peeing in the house? Then worry no more...

He's marking his territory. In addition to having him neutered asap you will need to clean the spots his marked very very well. You can but special cleaning products that are made to remove the urine small. You might also want to rearrange the furniture so that he doesnt have easy access to the areas he previously marked.

It can be very difficult to get cats to stop this behavior once it starts. You can try avoidance sprays (available at pet supply stores) that will hopefully deteur him from going back to that area, or just put some tape (sticky side up) around the areas he's selected so that if he goes near he gets the tape stuck to his feet.

Make sure his litter box is kept very very clean and is accessible to him. But marking is less about potty habits than it is being possessive of his territory.

He needs to be fixed. The cat did not start spraying because he got outside, it was time. Usually the male cat needs to be neutered before they reach puberty, about 7 months old.

It is a natural thing for male cats to do, especially if they have not been neutered at a sufficiently early age. There is no way to stop it; perhaps the cat needs to be an outdoors cat at least some of the time.

he sees the other cats outside and is spraying because he is marking his territory. close the shades so he can't see the other cats outside.

If you get the kitty neutered then it may stop the spraying.

HE;S MARKING SO THE OTHER CATS WILL NOTICE HIM ;EVEN IF HE;S INDOORD.GET HIM SPAYED OR IN HIS CASE NURTERED.THAT IS CAT BEHAVIER;AND WHEN HE;S FIXED ;HE;LL SETTLE DOWN,,,,GOOD-LUCK