promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do the measurements in science fair projects have to be metric?

Or can you use what fits the project best, because inches would work much better for this.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't have to use the metric system, but there is an award for using the metric system at Regionals. Also, the judges will probably be more impressed if you use the metric system because it is the universal measuring system of the scientific world.

Best of Luck to you!!!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No. BUT the scientific community works with the metric system. Showing both and how they were converted shows an understanding of both the English and metric systems. That can help when it comes to judging the projects!

• 1 decade ago

Metric is the measured unit that is universal in science.

If you are in grade school or something and not using metric I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

• 1 decade ago

In general metric would be preferred in science and in science fairs. Also metric is preferred almost everywhere else in the world, except the U.S.

What is your project? Why do you think inches would be better?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would say that it depends on the rules of the science fair. In my opinion, metric units tend to be easier to use in many cases. Metric units tend to be preferred in most of the world as well as in engineering profession within the US. The main thing to do is to use units that are appropriate for your particular situation and to be consistent with the units.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, you can use whatever units you like, but if you want your project to be taken more seriously, then you would be better off using metric.

Make sure you check with the rules of your particular science fair and be sure they don't have local rules like this that you need to adhere to. I doubt it, but you never know.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I imagine if you live in Canada they have to be metric, eh?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.