Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Dee
Lv 6
Dee asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Based on Silicon's place in the periodic table do u think compounds r a reasonable choice for alien life forms

Why or why not? Please explain your answer. I need it for my science homework. Thanks in advance.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

silicon is in the same column as carbon on the periodic table, and organic carbon is the basis of all living organisms, therefore silicon shares some of the chemical properties with carbon that may be able to "create" or sustain life

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Silicon is less reactive than carbon and does not readily form double and triple bonds. What this means is; silicon is used structurally in some shell life forms, but as the basis for life it is not as good a choice as carbon. Silicon life forms would be almost ossified in there movements, if you could call that movement at all.

• 1 decade ago

sillicon is a metallolid or a semimetal so its also with boron and arsenic and telluranium i think yes it is a reasonable choice for alien life forms

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

glass is universal...definately used for certain things !

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.