What is the best way to get rid of spyware on my computer?

I use adaware 2X/week but I still get errors that are caused by spyware. These errors include things like "aupdate has caused an error in Kernel32.DLL, aupdate will now close" when I try to download and apply new definitions with Norton. I also get similar error messages (all with Kernel32.DLL) from elink and lexplore. Any ideas? I've tried cleaning out the computer and re-installing Windows Me (what I have, I know, it's terrible).

• =42
    Favorite Answer

I've found that there is no one program that does it all. I use adaware, spybot search and destroy, crapcleaner(good stuff, also says it clears your index.bat file, microsofts record of every web site you have ever visited, which you can't delete), regcleaner, and used to use microsofts anti-spyware(excellent) before they made you register. All of these are free.

Occassionally when I have a problem none of the above will solve, i download a free trial version of a commercial product and use it until the trial expires. Some of these will only tell you where the problem is and you have to delete it yourself.

Norton has a terrible reputation for causing conflicts and errors.

For your listed problem obviously a google will give you the answer eg http://forums.techguy.org/security/339738-nav-aupd... or http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.ns...

grisoft.com and download the free version of AVG Anti-spyware. I've been using it for about a month and am very happy with it. While your at it you might consider downloading the free Anti-Virus protection also.

• semdot

Some spyware is harder to remove than others. Start with the source link and proceed through HIJACKTHIS download and run. Then go to the majorgeeks forum (there are other forums besides these guys too), post your HIJACKTHIS log, and get real help.

Try a different virus program. Free versions of Spybot and AdAware work pretty well.

The best free way is to go to lavasoft and download ad-aware.

It gets spyware and tracking cookies.

http://www.lavasoft.de/

i use windows defender, why i don't know, ad-aware and spybot search and destroy. I use all three. spybot will catch ones ad-aware misses and ad-aware will catch ones spybot missses.

try norton anti-virus or adaware

my computer>control panel>add/remove programs. select the spyware from that list, click remove. that should uninstall it.

I dunno. many anti-spyware products actually don't help. Wikipedia has a list of unreliable anti-spyware programs. Find an anti-spyware program that's not on the unreliable list and try it.