Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

need advice on guitar strings(bass)?

my E string has gon flat ,sure i can tune it but 4 bars latter its flat (dead string ) would it be more ecenomical to just buy the E string or the set ,what brand would you recomend (no im not stupid enough to pay them to change it)

Favorite Answer

Don't change just one string. If the E is dead, the others aren't far behind. When you replace just one string, you wind up with a completely unbalanced sound. The fresh string has a better harmonic response and a brighter tone. The other older strings can't possibly sound the same.

If you're not already using them, switch over to round-wounds. They have a really bright tone and add punch to what you play. They also have great sustain. They'll be a little hard on your fingers for a while, because the windings are round wire instead of flat wire tape, but you'll get over it.

Try Rotosound or GHS Bass Boomers. They both sound great, but the Boomers are brighter and stay fresh sounding a little longer.

P.S.: hjbergel is full of crap with the 'let the string breathe' garbage. The strings are steel and can't breathe. They need to stretch after first bringing them up to tension. Then re-tune a couple of times as they continue to stretch. They'll stop stretching in a few minutes ... they're STEEL!

Source(s): I've been playing bass for most of my life, playing full time rock 'n roll for 15 years. I've always used round-wounds. I switched from Rotosounds to GHS about 10 years ago and love them. I also never, never change one string unless I'm working and I need a quick change. After I'm finished playing for the night, I always change the rest of the strings for balance.

Earnie Balls ( Super Slinky), D'Addario, are the only ones i have ever put on my instrument. I currently use D'Addario. Just some advice if a string breaks or is flat, Changing that one is not recommended due to strings loose their brightness and clarity as they age with dirt, sweat, and exposure to air. I mean you can but, it will sound so much better than your other strings and the others will sound flat compared to tthe new one you put on.

When one breaks or goes out of tune, replace all of them at the same time. Rule of thumb there.

As with a dead string.... It maybe a dead fret and not the string. Only way to know this is to put a fresh set on. If it still dead, you know you have a dead fret. Only way i recommend this is having it replaced at a guitar shop. If you push down a string and get silence it sounds like a dead fret to me, the fret is causing the string not to vibrate. As in one fret is lower than the rest so when you mash down the string is resting on the other fret flat and not vibrating.

You can replace the bad string but the new string will sound different than the others.So in my opinion always replace them in sets.As for what brand/type to use roundwound strings are a good all around general purpose string but for hard rock or heavy metal I recommend groundwound strings and for jazz or light music I recommend flatwound strings.The brand name really doesn't matter as they are all pretty much the same except for those cyrogenicly frozen strings and I do not recommend them at all as they are very abrasive on your fingers and they break easily.A trick a bassist friend taught me for long string life is to take them out of their packages and let them expand and breath with the end wound around the string to hold it together undone for at least four hours before putting them on your bass.

I would buy the whole set that way if any other strings pop or snap or something, you'll have them. I was tuning my friends guitar today and I couldn't get the high e to tune so I was tuning it to the low e and to the other strings (just fooling around) and then it snapped right across my hand! I have a huge welt now, but anyway she had 3 sets of strings and we were able to replace it.... I say get the set, that way you have it.

If you're sure it's just the string (is it uncoiling slightly at the end?), then I'd say that it depends on the condition of the other strings. If they are ok and will likely last a while longer, just buy the E string. I use D'Addario, both for steel and classical they are good.

'we tune because we care, for your ears...' jimi

What guage of strings do you play? I always used .045-.105 range (light-medium). Pick a guage you like and stay with it, switching them too much can widen the grooves in the neck and cause buzzing and a dead sound.

GHS BASS BOOMERS are very good strings for the price.

i use samash online to buy strings ,, i buy sets and ,, you should call several guitar stores near you for a price on the single strings and ask about which are good better and best or call and talk to a guitar player at samash online they have an 800 number there good dudes there ive purchased several guitars from them and they did the set up personally ,,

Source(s): order a catalogue they are free and they got good deals on all supplies compared to my home stores in akron and cleveland

hm. just buy the whole set. my e string broke as well, and i bought the whole set. a little bit pricier, but i was smart. two days after that, but A str. broke, then my G str. haha saved me some CASH!

consult a guitar instructor they will be glad to help (as long as they're recievin $20 an hr. for it f***ing bastards)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just buy a new set of "ROTO SOUND SWING STRINGS" Medium Guage. your bass will sound like a thousand dollar bass!!!!!!!! they're about $20 a set.

Source(s): heres a bass with 2 strings tuned to E and A and the bass can be played plugged into an amp OR unplugged! and its $70 brand new sold in stores, EBAY, and at the manufacturers web page http://www.bogdonmusic.com