need help cooking fudge...?

im trying to make fudge however it became carmel instead. is this because i turned down the heat a little bit so it wouldnt burn/stick to the pan??

its pumpkin fudge im trying to make however the pumpkin carmel worked real well over ice cream

plus i dont own a candy thermometer

2 tbs butter

2 1/2 cup white sugar

2/3 cup evap milk

7 oz marshmellow cream

3/4 cup canned pumpkin

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup of white chocolate chips

line pan with aluminmum foil set aside

in a 3qt saucepan heat milk and sugar over medium heat. bring to a boil stirring occasionaly with a wooden spoon

mix in pumpkin and cinnamon bring back to a boil stir in marshmellow and butter bring to a rolling boil, cook stirring occasionly for 18 min.

remove from heat add the vanilla and chocolate chips stir until creamy

pour into prepared pan, cool remove from pan, cut into squares

store in a cool dry place

1 st attempt i got pumpkin carmel

2nd attempt ( just now)

right after i added the chocolate it became crumby like a cookie, would the recipe be wrong to say cook for 18 min?

• Favorite Answer

I have never heard of Pumpkin Fudge. I just use the recipe my grandmother & mother have always used. I have NEVER had it fail & it does NOT require cooking EXCEPT for the milk & sugar & that is for ONLY 6 minutes.

(3) 6 oz. bags semi sweet chocolate chips

8 oz. pkg. mini marshmellows

2 cps. butter (room temp is best)

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cps. chopped nuts

PLACE ALL OF THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS INTO A LARGE BOWL & SET ASIDE...

In a medium sauce pan......

4 1/2 cps. sugar (I now use 2 1/4 cps. Slenda for Baking)

13 oz. can Pet or Eagle Brand Evaporated Milk

bring this to a boil, stirring constantly & boil EXACTLY 6 minutes from the time it comes to a full boil.

Remove from stove & pour over first ingredients. STIR UNTIL ALL IS DISOLVED

Pour & spread into 11 x 14 x 2" dish or whatever you have & depending on how thick you want your pieces to be. Cover & store in the refrigerator......

Makes 5 lbs.

• Darby

Oh boy, you need a heavy pan. You can still make candy without a candy thermometer. I can't remember the "ball" stage caramel has to be before it's done. But when the caramel starts to slowly boil, to can take a teaspoon of the liquid and pour it into a cup of very cold water. When the liquid holds together in a ball the candy is probably done. You have to do this several times until the candy cooks long enough. You can also thin out the cooked liquid by adding more cream. Good luck. Sound like you are enjoying what you are doing. Happy New Year.

I've never heard of pumpkin fudge, but most candy is ready at a soft ball stage. Drop a small amount maybe a 1/2 teaspoon into a cup of cold water it should hold together you should be able to make a soft ball that somewhat holds together. Watch it closely as it could get to that stage quickly, you want to keep it at a slow boil. When it is ready I put the pot in cold water and stir until it looses it shine, then put it lightly buttered pan. Good Luck and happy new year. Sure would like the recipe.

Usually if chocolate chips become crumbly like a cookie, it is because they have become too hot. Cool the mixture a little before adding the chocolate chips.

I will try your recipe and get back to you. I make all kinds of candy every Christmas and have never heard of pumpkin fudge.

I have a rule of thumb for determining when fudge or other cream candies are done, that is place a small amount into a glass of cold water. If you can pick it up, and form a small square on your finger which holds it shape, id don't run down, the candy is done. Also beating fudge on a marble slab and kneeding it makes it creamier and smoother.

Source(s): The source is just by making candy for many years and trying different things. pollyj@mesquiteweb.com
  • I have the best no thermometer, no stick recepie.. Don't mind me, I'm druink

Rub the heqvy saucewpan with the stick of butter youre gona use for this recepie. Add aboot 4 cups of sugar and a can of condenced milk. Stir on open flame till boiling (Be careful not to let it overboil) reduce flame andfstir for 10 minutes (reduce so it dosbn't try to boiuol over. Most tedious part of this is the stiring CONSTANTLY.... When 10 minutesa is over the sugar crystals are gud ebnogh to add aboyut 12-24 oz of hersheys milk chololate cips, 12-24- oz of dark chocolayte chips or chocolate bar, 1 tsp vanilla andf ost impurtently, FLUFF/.... a jar of that fluff stuff, ewwy gwey hate to eat it but works oh so well with this recepie.... then mix till all the fluff is mixed in and it starts to loose it's luster then pour in to a PREPAREd 12X9 baking dish lined with tinfoil and baking spray ( i PUT CHOCOLATE CHPS ON THE BOTTOM) damned caps... and set it in the f4ridge ovbernight or the freezer for a couple hours and cut with a strong knife and pack.

I useta use this for the OC's out in the NTC... they begged me for this recepie, be honored for it... even if I did get it from the betty crocker cook bnook.... :P

Source(s): Remember: I'm duckin Fruink

you don't necessarily need a candy thermometer...The cold water candy test method works as well...cook it to the soft ball stage over medium-high heat, between about 234 and 240...have a glass of cold water beside the stove with a clean teaspoon and when the sugar mix starts to boil well, after constantly stirring, take a small bit of the mix on the tip of the teaspoon and drop it into the water...if it keeps it's form, it's ready to take off and cool for a few minutes and beat til it loses it's gloss...

Good luck!

Never heard of pumpkin fudge, but if you don't own a candy thermometer the other way to test it is if it forms a ball in a cup of cold water, then u know it is done.

• maamu

You really need a candy thermometer.

I want your recipe. Pumpkin fudge--even for ice cream topping sounds like a wonderful taste sensation

M

If you buy the the jar of kraft mashmallow cream and it has the Fantasy Fudge recipe, it is the best !and you can substitute 1 cup of peanut butter fo make pb fudge instead of chocolate too.

Caramelizing Sugar

If you heat a sugar syrup to temperatures higher than any of the candy stages, you will be on your way to creating caramelized sugar (the brown liquid stage)—a rich addition to many desserts.