Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

do you have to be deported back to your home country?

lets say you are a canadian in the u.s. illegally, and dont want to be deported back to canada. can you then request that you be deported to mexico instead, and enter mexico on a holiday visa?


or lets say you are a russian in china and want to get deported to vietnam instead of russia. and enter viet nam on a holiday visa.

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes! Believe it or not you can chose which country to be deported to upon officially being ordered removed from the United States by an immigration judge.

    The catch: the government of the country you pick must formally accept you through notification to the secretary of Homeland Security.

    While it's possible, the government of Mexico would need a pretty good reason to accept a Canadian illegally present in the United States. In other words, it's highly unlikely.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You can only be deported to a country that will have you, normally one that you hold a passport for. If you have your passport, and can obtain a visa for another country, you should use that to travel there yourself.

    Even if the Immigration authorities were ready to be flexible - which is pretty unlikely - the third country would be unlikely to accept you on a tourist visa if they think you are not really intending to return to your home country, for example because you had overstayed/claimed asylum/whatever in the other country. Visas can be cancelled at any time, especially if they think you have obtained it fraudulently, by giving false information about your true intentions.

  • 1 decade ago

    Under the current removal procedures, you get to designated the country you want to be removed to. You can only pick one country, however (no list of alternates). You cannot be removed to a country adjacent to the US or a US territory unless you are a citizen of that country - your hypothetical Canadian couldn't request deportation to Mexico. The government can disregard your choice if the country refuses to take you. In that case, you will be removed to your country of citizenship, unless they refuse to take you. Then you go down a list of possible alternatives (where you were born, where you last lived, etc.). If no one will take you, or if you can't be deported to any country that will take you because you will be tortured or killed if you return, then you get to stay in the US, usually in custody.

    Source(s): Immigration and Nationality Act section 241(b)(2)(A) through 241(b)(2)(E) available from
  • 1 decade ago

    No. And why the hell would you go to another country where you would also be an illegal. And with very good odds that that other country isnt as kind as the USA and instead of deporting you from that other country they jail you or worse.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • DORY
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Why, would you not want to come back to Canada? If you were Legal here to begin with? Which now I admit, I am questioning,am I wrong? What are you running from? Mexico? You are up to no good, I think! Holiday Visa? And then what? Cuba? S.A.? Good luck!

  • ramshi
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Sorry to disappoint you. But a person can be deported only to the country he/she belongs to. Or, equivalently, to the country that issued his/her passport. The deportee does not get to choose where he/she wants to be deported. (Thats why in cases where a person's nationality cannot be established, the undocumented illegal alien is kept in jail indefinitely.)

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    no, but you could lie and say you are Mexican.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.