gregg s asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

I have a new dog who, our cat is terrified of. is there a teqnique to make them tolerant of each other?

• Calais
    Favorite Answer

they have to introduce themselves to each other by them selves, this will take time, just make sure you spend equal amount of time with both, you can't just chuck them in together and expect them to get on, just be patient

This is something that will take time and the animals will decide, but if your dog is well behaved and you can make it sit and stay on command will help a great deal. If he gets excited it will cause the cat to stress, and in turn the dog will sense this. Making him more anxious. So start with your dogs behavior. When you can keep him calm introduce them in a room while you are holding him on a leash, laying down, in the submissive posture. Give the cat treats to get her near him, the cat will eventually relate the treats and the dog to a good thing and she/he will get used to him being around. You need to stay calm at all times while doing this, they will both sense any anxiousness that you may have. It will take a few days but it will work. I have 3 large dogs and 3 cats, none were raised together and they get along great!

O.K. Put the cat in the room w/ the dog, with you and some other person(S) put the dog on a Leash. Make sure the cat go hide behind anything. Let them sniff each other, and keep them in the same room, with you holding the leash- DO NOT let go off the leash, because if you think the animals ,ay be friends, y`never know.

You should slowly introduce them to each other. Leaving them to do it themselves is not a good idea. Spend equal time with each and always reward good behavior. When the bad behavior arrives during their meeting time, correct it and move on. Be patient it does take time. I have introduced my 200 lb Mastiff to 3 cats now so I know it will work. Good luck to you!

Try using Feliway each time they are together...it is a great calming product for felines.

I GUARANTEE YOU THAT IN A FEW MONTHS THEY WILL BE INSEPARABLE JUST GIVE IT SOMETIME THEY ARE NEW TO EACH OTHER. DO YOU REMEMBER YOUR FIRST DATE?