How can i tell if someone is a pathological liar? And what do I do to get them help?

I am 23 years old, and since I have been home from graduating college I feel my mother is a pathological liar. She always has to be the "MC" of a dinner or a conversation, and she always tries to one-up people in stories. Just recently she relayed an event that happened to me to my grandparents, in my presence, and she said details had happened, which in fact they have not.

She also would tell many tales about being best friends with Larry Bird in the 1980s when he played for the Celtics, but to this day I have yet to see a picture or an autograph of his.

Favorite Answer

Liars will finally tell the ultimate lie and hang themselves.One day she will lie to the wrong person and she will have a rude awakening maybe even be punished by the law.What goes around comes around just let it be since it is your mom and pray for her it is an illness.Maybe you might suggest graciously that she see a doctor for anxiety or depression and you could speak with the doctor before hand and tell him what is going on.There is always an underlying problem for lying ,stealing,many untoward behaviors.Good Luck God Bless!!!!

Source(s): R.N.

Eldude just blew my answer away ..but , never-the-less , your mom could be looking for attention OR maybe now that you have your degree you feel superior to her . I have a lot of old best friends but don't have pictures of us together .If she relayed something about your grandparents , there's a good chance you may not have been born then .Exaggerations ( if that's what it is ) do not make a pathological liar .

• tas211

Anything can become a bad habit. If you've noticed this about her chances are so have other people but they are just too polite to say anything to her about it. It's like any other bad habit such as smoking, drinking, or drugging. The problem is that when some one is a known liar then often times people won't believe her even when she is telling the truth.

If you think about it... Why would anyone lie about knowing Larry Byrd?

Of all people come on now anyone could come up with better than Larry Byrd.

Have you ever thought that (especially if she knows that you like Basketball) maybe she is just desperate for something to relate to you about?

Don't be so harsh unless it starts to become damaging to her mental health or she shows signs of deterioration or memory loss... Some people are just colorful...

Rent the movie Big Fish and watch it with her... She'll love your company and maybe she will learn something about herself.

Hahaha I had a relationship with one various years in the past. She might want to'nt have admitted that. She change into pmore in all likelihood to inform me how she were accepted to Cambridge college to study psychology. She did attempt to spin a yarn like that or something like that

She sounds really insecure. Just let her know that you love her a lot. She is probably not going to change.

storys are a part of life they can take on their own exestence and its all fun havent you ever made a story more interesting because it lacks luster

My oh, my. Your best bet is to pull her to the side and say to her, please mother stop the lying to impress people. If it does not work, then you may have to embarrass her a little by saying, no mother, you are totally wrong. I remember the story this way.

She may need to see a therapist or psychiatrist.

• Eldude

Go to a Democratic National Convention...you will find many there.

Sorry most are beyond help.