Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theater · 1 decade ago

Cord/Cable for connecting home stereo system?

Hi there, I've been looking all over for this cord I once saw on the internet. I want to convert the audio from the digital-out audio of my HD LCD tv to my home stereo speakers. It doesnt have any digital-in jack however, only L and R audio. What cord/cable can convert the digital audio out from my LCD HDTV to my radio's stereo left and right pin.

Thanks in advance

Followup:

Since I learnt I cant easily do the conversion, I connected my PC's speakers to the headphone jack of my tv (since it has no L and R audio output) and got it working. The sound isnt too impressive as my PC speakers arent particularly state of the art. so i got to thinking, in the mean time before i buy and amp, can I get a wire/cable that'll xtend the headphone out jack from my tv all the way to my stereo's L and R input? Would a Y cable do? Wouldnt this be like using your cd players line out to connect to the stereo's L and R? If I can do this, is there any special thing I should look out for? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You cannot connect a digital signal to an analogue input that your stereo has. Look carefully again at the back of the TV and you may find a set of RCA audio output jacks that you can connect your stereo to.

Sounds like you are trying to connect two different types of signals, digital to analog. This will not work with a cable alone although there are cables that may supply the right connections, the signals will still be different and it will not work and may even damage your components. You will need a converter which will not be cheap and in the end you are converting to a lessor audio format so will not gain any benefit. Standard L and R audio connections are not as high quality as digital so you will not enjoy the benefits of the digital out your TV provides. Review the resource listed below and look at your TV to get an idea of the options available to you. If there is another option, such as L and R out on your TV, I recommend you use that since it will not make any sound difference being that your amplifier is not providing a digital in. Of course the other option is to upgrade your amplifier.