promotion image of download ymail app

Is it legally to deduct money from a Managers Pay to cover the cost of payroll over-ride?

Can an employer deduct money from a salaried employee's paycheck to cover the cost of payroll when payroll cost goes over the company's budget. Taking money from a salaried employeee's paycheck to cover his over-ride seems illegal, especially if that employee works six (6) to seven (7) days a week, with no overtime pay, or comp pay to make up for the loss in wages on his/her check.

3 Answers

  • Fred S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    see a good attorney they can't do that

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • wph00
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago we have a bunch of problems here! From the question it is clear you may want to seek advice from a regulatory agency or an attorney. There are a variety of legal questions which vary from state to state here which are impossible to answer from the limited information in the questions. Let be said, however, you should contact a representative of your state agency for regulating labor laws and overtime. Simply put it appears on your status as an employee. Chances are you live in what is referred to as a At Will Employment state and have limited legal recourse with regard employment conditions. Your strongest point would appear to be variety of state and federal requirements regarding work hours and overtime provisions this is were I would look.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    They might be able to if it is stipulated in your contract. But most likely not.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.