Christina. asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Can you be your own farrier?

Well, i'll be getting my own horse pretty dang soon and i know where i can get good St. Croix Forge horseshoes, but if i get the tools for it, like a jaw clincher, some pulloffs, and pullers and nippers, can i do it myself instead of hassling over finding a farrier to do it?

Favorite Answer

You can do it yourself, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you were already a professional farrier. If you don't know what you're doing, you could make your horse go lame, founder, or even eventually die if you continually mess up. Their feet are very sensitive and the slightest thing you do wrong can make them lame.

Ha ha, this makes me laugh because I was going to be my own farrier too, once.

WOW it's not as easy as it looks. The most I ever got accomplished was to be able to file my horses hooves down some in between professional trimmings.

There is a reason that farriers go to farrier school and get special training to specialize in the different techniques.

But I did go so far as to purchase the tools to do it and then found out how dang wrong I was to think that I could just take up the practice. So save yourself the money on pullers and such, to save for the farrier.

I also gave myself a muscle spasm in my back that I still enjoy on occassion trying to figure out how to remove a crooked half thrown shoe. Still needed the farrier to come rescue me from that one.

Man I started tipping my farrier. ha ha

Of course you can be your own farrier, but you need to go to college and then apprentice for a while under a professional farrier. Do not think that you can take one weekend course and be your horse's farrier. There is an old statement, "no hoof, no horse", which is so true. You can destroy an animals life by being your own farrier and not knowing what to do.

Some people say yes, those are normally the ones doing it themselves though. I on the other hand say no, only because I have seen what people have done to their horses feet and trust me its bad!

I mean maybe if you have had enough experience on other horses and have learned from a real expert and they watch you when you do the first couple of time, then yeah why not. But if not I would suggest finding a professional.

I am sorry if I sound rude but I have seen some horrible work and i have seen some from people that say they are professionals and they have ruined horses. So you know just be careful.

If you don't know what you are doing, you can really mess up that horse. A good farrier can clip a hoof to correct a lot of problems, clip them for whatever activity they do most, and can recomend the best medicines for certain fungi problems and many other hoof trouble. Save the money on the farrier tools. Spend the money on the farrier.

Source(s): Only the farrier knows

yes you can, but take some courses and see if you really are capable, it's not as easy as it seems from a technical and physical point of view and if you don't think you're capable, don't do it. before you go shoeing your own horse, by farrier or yourself, (rim shoeing), have a look at the CYTEK site, don't know if you have it where you live. there are courses over here in oz for it and my horse has recently been shod this way and i will certainly be doing the course in march or april this year. check it out,

Source(s): i have no ties with cytek at all, my barrister told me about it, i checked it out on the web,understood how it worked and got a cytek trained farrier to come and shoe him. my farrier has been in his trade for more than thirty years i would suppose, and only just begun to do cytek shoeing in the last 12 months. only cytek train persons (you don't have to be a farrier to do the course) can buy the shoes

Unless you gain a large amount of knowledge about how to properly trim and balance a hoof before appling shoes to it your horse is going to have problems.

I can trim and file my horse my self and do it quite often but I still have the farrier come about every 10 weeks to balance the hoof from me as he went to school to learn how to do this and understands it much better than I do.

You would also need a forge to shape the shoe to fit your horses hoof.

Hi there. Personally, an amateur blames his tools. Learn from an expert.It takes practice to succeed well in any craft. I think both you and your horses will benefit from the experience. Would you make a great surgeon with the right tools? I love your spirit, but first learn. Have a great new year.

unless your a professional, NO! You could really hurt your horses feet, and that's a really bad part to hurt. Just take my advice, I have 5 horses, get a real farrier. You could learn, but it takes a while, so just get a regular one, you only need it every so often.

Source(s): I have horses
  • Not right away it takes weeks of practices I incise you just get a farrier.

Source(s): Im a Farrier