Can HIV testing confirm when you contracted the virus?

Let me give some extra info here. My g/f and I were first timers together. We were together for a year and a half. We broke up, slept with another guy. She says once, he says several times. Now we are back together and he is out of the picture. He leaves an away message saying his first of two sexual partners ended contact 5 years ago, and then he is questioning that his most recent (my current) may have gotten him sick. He's taking an HIV test soon. I don't like the sounds of this at all and am freaking out. Like I said she said they did it once with a condom, and he says they have done is dozens of times without.

Favorite Answer

You both need to go see your doc's and have the test ran. They simply draw blood and send it off to lab for a test called the ELISA and a Western Blot. These test will confirm or deny if the HIV antibodies are present. It will not tell you how long you have had it or when it was contracted. However, additional blood work can be done to check your WBC. This test examines all of the cells related to the WBC family and they can tell from that how far advanced the disease is.

I advise you to get the test, prove that you are clean and you and your girlfriend can move on with your life. This exboyfriend sounds like a person out to make both of your lives awful. He sounds a little jealous and using any scare methods he can think of.

So get the test to put your mind at ease. Good luck and I hope I have helped you.

Source(s): I am a nurse

What makes you so sure you can trust your girlfriend? I know that when I am serious about someone, it takes me a long time to be ready to be with someone else. Are you sure she's worth it? And, if you think about it, this dude has a lot less reason to lie to you than she does. And, for that matter, what makes you so sure he's out of the picture? AIDS is not something to screw around with. Even if she does not seem sick, she could be a carrier and give it to you. And even if she has a negative test, it can take up to SIX MONTHS to show up. Has it occured to you that maybe this guy thinks that she cheated on him with you? I don't know you or this chick, but I know myself, and there's no way I would mess around with a girl who may have given me HIV.

Yes and no. Many public health departments do screening tests called detuned ELISA on HIV+ patients, but it's currently only used in research. It can determine if the infection is within six months, but the results aren't reported to the patient, it's strictly research.

Any time you fluid bond with someone, or rebond with them, you should have a full STI panel done.

HIV testing is the only way to tell if you have the virus. I know for a fact that someone is lying and it may be her. She needs to go get tested and you should to.

A standard HIV test can not tell you when. However a viral load test may help you see how long you have had it. A PCR test can tell who you got it from and the sub type you have if all involved are tested.

not usually. it takes about 6 months for your body's immune system to degrade to a level in which HIV can be detected but you cannot tell the time of contraction precisely. they can estimate it by the progression of the illness but they cannot confirm it definitely.

It can confirm that you HAVE the virus....but HIV tests say nothing about when you CONTRACTED it.