How do I set up a light globe, for an old railway signal, to be left outside and turned on safely?

I have an old railway signal. It has 3 spaces for the lights to go inside. The signal itself is obivously protected from the elements, but what would be the best way to have at least one light globe inside, to be turned on and off, and wired safely to the house? I was perhaps even thinking about using solar lights. Any ideas? Thank you.

• Bill G
    Favorite Answer

Go to Home Depot and tell them your plans. Take a measurement of how far you want the light to be from the house. You will need to bury the line in special PVC for electrical line. The hardest part will be connecting to the home wiring. If you have never done this, get an electrician to make the connection. Be sure to show him/her where you want the switch.

aabbcc

Solar lights don't put out allot of light but I think your on the right track and use a low volt light system. Especially if your not an electrician , they're much safer to use.Check your local hardware store and see what they offer for 12v or 24v outdoor lighting

what ever you decide to do make sure you wire the lights, or plug them in to a GFCI protected receptacle this will prevent the risk of shock in wet conditions. as all ways with electricity if you are not familiar with wiring hire an electrician.

good luck

hire an electrician is the advise you need