promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

CAn my family doctor prescribe a medication to me instead of a dermatologist?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • s. m.
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

yes. I would not go to a family doc who has no idea how to treat acne. You need a retinoid (like Retin-A) for blackheads/whiteheads, a topical (like Benzaclin) for pimples, and an oral anitbiotic for moderate to severe acne (like minocycline) to clear faster. If your doc is not familiar with these products, then perhaps go to a dermatologist.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Technically, anyone can prescribe it (as long as they are signed up with the "i pledge" program) , but considering the serious nature of the possible side effects involved, I would think you would want to be followed by a derm. Taking accutane involves monthly blood tested (absolutely required before you pick up your prescription each month) and a monthly doctor visit so they can check you out and make sure you are not having any dangerous side effects. The blood tests and monthly office visits are probably gonna be expensive. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

Legally .. probably.. but if your doctor is not familiar with the medication then why would you WANT him/her to prescribe it rather than consulting with someone that is more familiar and can explain about risks and side effects?

• 1 decade ago

He may need to refer you to a dermatologist if he thinks it's beyond his expertise, but it's a good place to start.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes as long as your doctor is an MD of some sort or DO

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

• 1 decade ago

Antibiotics!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if your family doctor has made the diagnosis, yes

chin

• maamu
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes.

M

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.