Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What can you do for a child that has ADD?

My friends little boy is 4 the docs told her that he has ADD drugs are not an option. I do not know what to tell her seeming as I just dont no. Any thing would help...

Thanks

Favorite Answer

My child has ADD and was just put on meds but one thing we did before the meds was to cut out all yellow and red food coloring. I was willing to try anything and what a difference it made in the behavior, I asked the doctor about it and he said it is quite common for children to have allergies to those particular colors they have an affect on some part of the brain, and all children react differently to them some adverse, some not at all. You can look it up on the internet (ADD food+coloring). Hope this helps.

Good drugs are not a option!

I am ADHD I also have a condition that makes moving painful (isn't that a good combo!). I have a child that is ADHD and another one that is ADD which is a sub symptom of another condition he has.

Not everything one can just pop a pill for, as most people do when they have kids with this. The drugs are very harmful.

Change the diet, teach the child how to deal with it. The public school system is not always ready to help a child like this. Your friend may have to throw her child's rights at the school and do not back down.

ADD/ADHD is hereditary condition. Someone in this child's family has it too, find out how they dealt with it.

Tell her good luck, it can be done without drugs....

The companies who make the ADD drugs don't even know how the drugs work... and neither do doctors and physicians. And now plenty of parents are using ADD as an excuse for their own horrible job of parenting an unruly child. The only excuse that a child who has ADD has for doing badly in school is that they have the "disease". It's NEVER their own fault; it's always the disease for them.

The best possible thing that your friend can do as a parent is to BE A GOOD PARENT AND CONTROL THE CHILD. They should not go by today's lackluster standards of parenting, but instead take a serious stand against any unruliness, and make sure that neither he/she nor the child hides behind the excuse that the child has ADD.

Yeah, my best friend had a little boy that had ADHD. She swore that no child of hers would ever go on Ritalin. Well, she changed her mind when he started getting kicked out of pre-schools left and right. She took him to a psychiatrist, got him on Ritalin, and he improved immediately. He is now 18 years old and a freshman in college. He was weaned off the Ritalin over a period of several years, and is a normal and outstanding young man. She has never regretted her decision about Ritalin. I am sure there are different degrees of ADD or ADHD, but this kid had it BAD.

A child can not even be properly diagnosed until he or she is around 5 or 6. (depending on their maturity)

Kids are a product of their environment, they will act out if they are in a loud and noisy environment.

Tell you she needs to do a lot of reading on the subject. There are many books with ways to structure the child's day, diet and approach to dealing with him. She may find that medication is the best thing as he approaches school age. Tell her, if her child needed crutches she'd get them for him. If he needed insulin because he was a diabetic, she'd get him that, and if he's ADD and needs medication to allow him to function to his potential and function to keep up with his peers, he needs medication for that too.

Don't all 4 yr. olds have ADD? Geeze..since when is being a kid a disease or mental problem?

People say all the time "My child has ADD" or "My child has ADHD" but you know what? I'm convinced that 99% of kids diagnosed with these things are *not* ADD or ADHD.

Kids run, kids scream, kids can't keep focused on one thing for very long. That doesn't make it wrong, that makes them normal.

Just keep him away from sugar and caffeine. Also, if she doesn't want to drug him, homeschooling would be an option. Public schools won't put up with it unfortunately.

she going to have to deal with him if she dont wont to get him help when he goes to school she will get a phone call almost every day .i no i have two that is adhd

Just give him things to do to keep him busy until he wears himself out.

Source(s): 14yrs experience trying to help keep my cousin's hyperactive kids in check.