A question about hard drives?

My motherboard supports 1.5 Gb/s SATA hard drives, according to the manual. If I buy a 3.0 Gb/s SATA drive, will it not work at all, or will it only work at that slower 1.5 Gb/s rate?

• Favorite Answer

I did not know they made drives that small for SATA technology.

John

A+ Certified

I would try to buy the drives to match your motherboard, unless you intend to upgrade the main board in the near future.

SATA drives, like the older IDE drives run at the speed of the controller rather then at the speed of the drives.

You can use a faster drive, but I would check the pricing, there can be an advantage in buying drives to match your board.

Try updating the BIOS and see if your motherboard has a firmware upgrade from the manufacturer's website. Sometimes an update can mean a world of difference.

it will work at the slower rate .. and if u had two pcs side by side ... one with the 3g and the other 1.5, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference in speed ... rotational speed is still king ... and putting two or more in raid will boost felt harddrive speed more than anything else ...

If you buy 3.0Gb/s SATA drive it will work but your motherboard will never determine the new speed. Your new hard drive will slow down your motherboard.

It will slow down. Its like the USB1 vs USB2 devices.