Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Can anyone recommend a good maid of honor survival guide?

My sister has asked me to be the maid of honor for her wedding but as I'm only 16 and have never even stood up in a wedding, I'm feeling a little intimidated by the role. I've searched online for some guides to being the maid of honor, but could only really find a few handbooks for bridesmaids. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Favorite Answer

congratulations!

i have recently been asked to be a bridesmaid at my best friends wedding too, so you and i are in the same boat.

i dont have any links to give you... but i know that basically, as a bridesmaid, you should plan a great day for your sister 2 weeks before the wedding... invite the other bridesmaids and her female family members and friends, have a special day together being pampered at a day spa... have your hair and nails done... get a spray tan....a massage... all those special things.

make reservations at a nice restaurant and have a good meal together.

at the wedding, make sure you have written a speech, as the best man will make a speech and usually the bridesmaid has to as well. just ask your sister if she wants you to make a speech.

you will be in charge of the flowers, you will have to hold her bouquet when she puts her wedding ring on.

some important tips to remember

1- never complain about the dress she wants you to wear

2- offer to pay for the dress

3- help her with ideas for table decorations, music etc

4- smile in the photos!!

best of luck to you!

Don't know of any books on the subject, but I would think your sister would be the best source of information. As a maid of honor, you're just there to support her, so just help her with whatever she asks you to do. Also, communicate with the other bridesmaids, you're gonna need their help when you're planning those bridal showers and the bachelorette party (if you have one). Look at it this way, the maid of honor is usually the bride's best friend, so she just wants her little sis standing right beside her on her special day. Don't worry about what you're 'supposed' to do, just have fun with it.

Nerve Pills! Seriously, your mom will help you and do ask some of your sister's friends. Hosting a Bridesmaid's luncheon the day before the wedding is always a nice touch.

• jen

Don't go buy a book for this! Ask cousins or other family members, I'm certain they have held this position and could give you pointers! Most importantly, and I say this from personal experience, speak with your sister about her expectations of you! No book can tell you what she personally wants! And this day is all about her, so make it about her! I would be glad to give pointers to you, if you email me or im me! But most importantly, speak with your sister about what she wants from you! And good luck!

jlametz@aol.com - just put something in the subjecty so I know it isn't junk mail!

AD-1

Get Rs.500 Just for FREE signup. It will take Less than one Minute.

Convert Your Spare Time into Money. Just Register Free By clicking this Link http://www.surveyspaysu.com?id=90953 . Make Money By Filling simple surveys. Its All FREE.

having had my cousin (i did not have a sister), my very best friend, be my maid of honor was terrific since she knows all about etiquette, being basically a polite woman as it is. so i looked your question up on the net and this should be a great guide, from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_of_honor

Source(s): be sure to smile a lot as you stand in the greeting line! EVERYONE is going to ask your sister who that wonderful maid of honor was!

Yeah...taking the quote from Nancy Reagan..."Just Say No!"

• Jenny

www.abcustom.com has planning tools...if you click on attendants, it lists the duties of the MOH.