Need to know how to check injectors on a 6.2 gm diesel.?

Have a pick-up that barely passed emmissions I know the fuel and air filters are good(just replaced) So it leads me to believe I have a leaky injector. Do I perform a regular crack test(breaking each line loose from every injector seperatly of course) or from the injection pump?

Favorite Answer

break the lines lose at the injector and see if it misses. but if this thing has a lot of miles, could be the injection pump. i'd losen the line at the injector and see if the sound of engine changes sound. if not , get the pump and all the injectors checked out. something else, you might need the valves set.

• jeff s

Yeh, it sounds like the truck is getting too much fuel. There is also a pressure regulator valve (I think). If it was me....I'd replace all of the injectors and the regulator valve because I'm sure this engine is due. Good luck.

before doing anything take a sample of your fuel in a clear, clean jar and look at it. i bet your fuel look a bright orange color(grade 3 diesel). this engine was designed to run on grade 1(blueish) or grade 2(slightly blueish). if you like additional info holler.

Source(s): 22 years working on this dang motor in the military and civilian worlds
  • mark t

The best way to check them is on a test stand, where you can see the spray pattern and observe when they pop.