How to select and find a good Maine Coon Cat Breeder?

My husband and I have wanted a Maine Coon for years.

Our son's friend's parents know someone who would like to have a litter, but they are waiting to get enough commitments before breeding.

I would like to know, how do I know if she is a good person to get a cat from?

I don't know what to look for in the parents, or the kits, and as far as the price is concerned, I couldn't be more lost!

We live in Southern California.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Try Petfinder.com they have a good selection and you would be saving a life. I got a beautiful maine coon from there and he is the best cat I have ever had and the best looking too.

You can see him (Furby) here:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TX926.html

• Elisa

What you've got is a big domestic short hair tabby. It takes more than size to make a Maine Coon, and there really are lots of big cats out there. He doesn't have the ear tufts, and ruff, that a Maine Coon or Maine Coon mix would have. Lots of cats have those flaps, and Maus are on the rare side. While back yard breeders do sell Maine Coon's unaltered and they often end up in shelters (mixed kittens) Mau's generally don't. If a shelter says they have a Mau, that generally means they have a nicely spotted tabby cat. Love your guy for what he is - a plus sized tiger cat!

check the breeders they are very friendly and want the best for there breed when they do they also want the best parents for there babys future. check with breeders on the web and net. i do own a maine coon he is old 27. he is more maine coon than what ever the rest is not sure . it would not really matter i love him any way. good luck, also ask vet. in your area they may know , look for the word maine coone breeders they are all over the world. i call him my gentle giant and my little person with fur.you can also checkwith show , for cats or like goverment regulated shows like kennels .

Source(s): i read alot about maine coones cats. good luck

Go to www.catfancy.com and you will find a list of cat breeders or you can do a yahoo search for Maine Coon breeders. The owners of the cats can send you photos of the parents parents of the kittens.What you need to look at meticulously in a breeding cat is Any history of Cat diseases,such as Feline Aids,Luekimia etc.The price varies,some people charge more for breeding rights and if the cats parents were show cats.You will most likely pay less if you bought a cat and signed as a Pet.Try your best to buy from a breeder that does not make you pay extra for breeding rights asmost of them tend to.

• Calais

check out on the internet, good breeders will show you pedigree papers from parents, check out how they are housed (cages, house rared etc), they should be able to answer any of your questions, by the time you get a kitten (about 12 - 13 weeks old), they should be wormed, vaccinated etc, therefore you should have a healthy happy kitten, ring a couple of breeders to check the price, usually the cost should be about the same throught out all

If they are good ppl, and the ppl don`t look bad, or seem like they are treating the animals wrong, they are probably o.k.

Have a vet check the kitty, before you actually buy it, like have a time periode where you can "return" the kitty if there is something wrong.

Source(s): Have 1 big main coon.
  • ?

look in the Yellow pages under "catteries" or call a local groomer or vet...they usually have connections.

we have one im not sure where i got her.....but my best guess maybe ask your local vet? or do some serious internet investigating.

google