Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

How can i slow down my heartbeat?

Sometimes i am nervous and my heart beats fast. How do i make it slow down really fast?

Favorite Answer

I dont know if itll work for you, but hold your breath for a couple of seconds to relax yourself, then take deep breaths.

I dont mean hold your breath as in holding your nose and closing your mouth and blowing your cheeks up, just keep doing what you are doing and stop breathing for several seconds. THat should work, then let it out slowly and deeply.

Try concentrating on your breathing.

The faster your heart beats the more your lungs work.

Take slow deep but rhythmic breaths and you will relax and your heart will slow.

Forms of meditation are based on this principle.

Give it a try. It may be difficult at first but you will definitely see the connection between breathing and your heartbeat.

Good luck!

• Lisa B

When my heart races, I hold my breath for 5 seconds, and that always slows it down. Then, I try to relax and not thing about what is making me stressed. No more caffeine either!

Karate breathing ten deep breaths hold in for 2 seconds and exhale all the way pushing all the old air out also works good for pain and to oxygenate the blood.

• belfus

1. carotid massage- feel your carotid pulse and apply direct pressure. that stimulates the carotid baroreceptor reflex which will decrease heart rate.

2. valsalva maneuver- coughing, bearing down (like having a bowel movement), anything to increase intra-abdominal pressure. that will increase vagal nerve stimulation which will also decrease heart rate.

3. push on your eye (applied via the eyelid preferably. direct pressure on the eye may cause corneal abrasion)- the occulo-cardiac reflex also serves to decrease heart rate.

other suggestions mentioned previously, such as beta blockers, are also good. but the ones i mentioned are particularily good for short term, immediate decreases in HR

Start taking beta blockers (Rx only). They'll slow your heart rate, sho-nuff. Atenolol is quite effective and very cheap.