Elizabeth H asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

is it ok to wash a dogs hair with human shampoo?

I was wondering cause I did that and I hope he will be ok

Favorite Answer

it is not recomended you should use dish liquid it helps prevent flees & tics better. it also depends on the age of the dog it can hurt a puppy. (use Joy)

Yes it is okay to was a dog with human shampoo, but make sure not to put too much and do not wash your dog every week. It would be preferable to wash your dog about 1, 2 times in about 3 months.(even more) For dog hair it's sure its better to wash it with dog shampoo but yes your dog will be okay. Like any shampoo, your dog may have irritation, just the same I you can have some with some shampoo. If you see nothing coming on your dog(bumps) then yes, your dog is perfectly okay and you can continue using the human shampoo on you dog. Not too much though.

I hope this will help you!

Source(s): Prof...

Generally, it is not a good idea to use human shampoo on dogs. The shampoo can be very irritating to their skin, which is why they make dog shampoos. If you use human shampoo, use a baby shampoo as those are very gentle. Always make sure to thoroughly rinse your dog after bathing as that can also irritate the skin.

How your dog reacts will be a matter of how sensitive your dog is. He could have no reaction whatsoever, could become very itchy for a few days, could have an allergic skin reaction (hives, redness etc). But again, this is very dependant on him and his body chemistry. Future reference, use dog shampoo particularly because you can find something that suits his coat type

Source(s): Veterinary Technician, dog breeder/exhibitor 21 years

before you wash the dogs check for a label on the back that says 'Animal Tested'. If not I assume a clear shampoo should be of use. Or an oatmeal shampoo.

Source(s): groomer

It is ok to use human shampoo on dogs as long as the bottle says it was tested on them. You should not give your dog a bath once a week though, more like once a month or once every 2 months.

Yes, you probably can but many dogs have really sensitive skin. If you use human shampoo, their skin can get really itchy and irritated. I have used baby shampoo on my pets and rinsed really well and that has worked out o.k. in the abscence of pet shampoo. If you dog does start itching/scratching, use an oatmeal bath to help sooth the skin. Good Luck!

Source(s): former vet assistant/grooming assistant

Human shampoo is too harsh for dogs skin. Use a regular dog shampoo.

well some shampoo isnt good for dogs for sake of their heath and coats , but you can go to the store and buy dogs shampoo instead theyre more safer to use . my mom once used her shampoo and my the dog got sicked so she doesent used human shampoo anymore. if you read back of the bottle see if there is word say no tests on pets that mean cant use it on youre dogs .

Make sure not to get any in there eyes, My hubby always washes his outside dogs with human shampo, He says he likes it better. But I use dog shampoo on my little house dog.

It is not going to make him sick or kill him but it can cause itchy skin. Dogs have different Ph and need shampoo balanced for them. A vet once told me if you don't have any pet shampoo use dish detergent before using your on, it's better for thier skin.

• Erika

do not spray him with the moisturizer except it somewhat is something made for canines that your Vet ordered to your canines. on the different hand, human shampoo won't harm a canines even though it is not made extremely for canines' dermis. nevertheless, Mane and Tail is made for horses and human beings in lots of cases purchase this to shampoo their hair with. It won't harm your canines. What may well be a concern is that in case you're actually not conscious of bathing your canines and drying wisely to stay away from matting. i used to be a canines groomer.