Avon Tires? Anyone have a comment?

Why are the avon tires so *spongie* I put them on my H.D, this year and I hate them. I would rather stick to the road with a Dunlop. What is it with the Avons that make them feel The way they do when riding with them on the bike?

Favorite Answer

Avon tires should not be spongy, you should check your tire pressure atleast once a week, I check mine before I ride everytime for the simple reason tires can lose pressure for a host of reasons...mostly aluminum rims lose air automatically with temp changes. Avon tires have served me well through the years although I have been told there are others brands that also perform well. I feel Avon get good mileage but, I change tires at the slightest hint they are not performing as they did when brand new. At what speeds did they feel spongy? 100mph...130mph...150mph??? My experience has shown the Avon's to hug and hold a rural stretch of 4 lane highway at speeds over 140mph with no problems, with no traffic in the area, clear view of the highway for several miles and new asphalt! Very rarely do these conditions present themselves but when they do...I open up the beefed up Valkyrie, for a short distance then slowly bring it back to posted speed limit of 65mph. Taking precautions...of clear highway visibility..there still are great risks at those speed, but tires are one of the main safety concerns...proper pressure...proper balancing..proper and extra tread. My tires are changed at the half-way point unless something tells me to change them sooner...a handling problem...unusual noise...vibration, anything! This costs more but who can put a price on safe equipment when it comes to motorcycles! Riding in traffic at 65mph is alot more dangerous then riding at 120mph alone on a proper stretch of highway you have already traveled and are aware of it's condition's...through clear visibility on a clear stretch of good highway with no off ramps or on ramps available...that insures only you are using that stretch of roadway when obtaining upper speeds for short periods of time. Making people buckle up for safety concerns in an auto or face getting a fine for being unbuckled is iffy at best. If it is really that more dangerous with no seat belt on...why would any U.S. State issue a license for a motorcycle in the first place...second why are there no seat belts on school buses? On a school bus kids are like dice in a pail...on a motorcycle you get scraped off the road with a putty knife when tragedy strikes on a seconds notice with an eighteen wheel truck involved in an accident! Those trucks cannot stop in the same distance a car or bike can, the logical situation would be to have trucks on their own roadways...cars and motorcycles on another. This nation wastes enough money every year on nonsense....instead of coming up with common sense solutions to problems facing everyday American's!

Source(s): 40 years of riding motorcycles...common sense and very good equipment and maintenance is a must. An experienced motorcycle rider accepts the fact your life is in the hands of everyone on the roadway when riding in traffic...they get stupid for whatever reason..you may pay with your life! A motorcyclist must ride defensively...100% of the time...the life you save will be your own and anyone else who is on the bike!

I put Avon Venoms on my Electraglide and love them. Woody is correct about tire pressure, I didn't bother to read the rest of his dissertation. When I picked my bike up from the shop, the genius had 20 lbs in the front and 30 in the back. The ride home was very *spongie*.

avon's are a softer, stickier tire than the stock dunlops. since their softer, they warm up alot quicker. they have a wider contact patch to be able to turn tighter with more confidence.

the dunlop's are a stiffer tire, and a tad less sticky than the avon's.

a guy over at harleychatgroup put a set of avon venom tires on his electra glide just this past season, and he says he loves them. alot of rider's on that board prefer either avon venoms or metzler's. most of them consider dunlop's to be junk. downside is, the sticky tires dont last quite as long, but riding style has alot to do with it also.

• james5 years agoReport

One thing is that on a sportbikes Dunlop q 3 are the best tire money can buy!!! Look it up. It's only for sportbikes. I have tried Avon and it's a also great tire for sport bikes. Ride safe!!

Use Social Networking - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Also there are so many reps selling Mary Kay...no offense. This company is a little outdated with their products. If you aren't having luck, definitely don't max out your card. Want to sell makeup that is flying off the shelves and can't be kept in stock?? Check out Younique, still fairly new company and the growth from month to month has been tremendous! Interested in getting wholesale, retail or joining my team?

http://www.flawlessmakeup.sexy

please help me in my survey and answer https://answers.yahoo.com/?tab=mya&filter=all

I'd get the make-up kit that goes with it. And say Hi to the Avon Lady for me too!

never ran the avons. i run the metzler me880.try these you

will like them.

no