Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 1 decade ago

What do I do?

There's this guy that I have been liking since June of '06 and I know for a fact that he has liked me too, but just around June he broke up with his gf of 3 yrs. We keep flirting back and forth but no one has the guts to say anything to each other. Just 2 nights ago, he had finally told different friends of mine that he does like me, but he's afraid that I'm going to reject him. Reason being that im 11 months older than him and also im extremely picky. Im 21 and have never had a bf b/c i have never met anyone that i truly like, but it's different with him. The other thing he had said that he isn't sure that we could work 2gether b/c we go to different schools and only see each other on breaks. I've never felt this way before, but at the same time im afraid that im going to get hurt. I don't know if i should say anything or wait for him even though he told my friends that he's too scared to ask me out. The age thing kind of bugs me, should it??? Help..

Wow these are all AMAZING answers...thank u so much guys...I work with him this week so I think I'm just going to put myself out there and tell him, hopefully something good will come out of it:) Thanks again!!!

Favorite Answer

I don't think that the age difference should be a big deal. I think that you will have to allow yourself to feel vulnerable if you ever want to have any relationships. I'm sure that you will get hurt sometime, everyone does. You will be the one to get hurt and I'm sure sometime that you will hurt someone else. Noone said that love and relationship are pain free. You have to have an open mind and be willing to let yourself experience life---even if there is a chance of being hurt.

Being 11 months older is no big deal. I have always dated younger guys and it has never been a problem. I think he is testing you when he says that you go to different schools, etc to see if you are really interested in him. If you werent interested in him, then he could just say that there were too many obstacles in dating you and save face. He doesnt want to get hurt either. Just keep flirting and assure him that you ARE interested.

Age is just a number, it only matters if you let it. Love, relationships, they only work if you have friendship and trust, love grows from their, not from physical attraction and sex, (though the mass media wants you to believe it does). A wise man once said, "it is better to have loved and lost than never loved at all". I never understood that when I was younger, now I know what it means. Without risk, there is no reward, without pain, there can be no appreciation of pleasure. Only by experiences, both good and bad, can we grow as human beings. Fear does not stop the time from going by, it only freezes you in a moment in time.

The age thing really shouldnt bother you.

I guess my suggestion is to sit back and see what happens.