Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

is it illegal to visit a grave yard at night?

i was thinking of visiting a grave yard as some thing to do with my occult studies and i was woundering if its illegal to go to a grave yard when the sun goes down.

its 6 pm here and i live in oregon.

Favorite Answer

Nope, it's not illegal...as long as you're not digging up corpses.

More than likely yes. . They normally have a sign at the entrance with a list of regulations posted at the front, which will list the hours you are allowed in. Graveyards are private property in a sense, thus they have the right to say when you can come and go and what you are allowed to do while there.

• ?

If the graveyard is not gated (like the old cemeteries of those buried in the 1700's/1800's by a church) then it may not be illegal.

I say may not because each area has certain laws regarding trespassing on a property.

No I don't believe it's illegal, kinda creepy but not illegal. You may draw some attention to yourself visiting at night, alot of cemetaries are gated and lock-up at certain times but you should be allowed to visit a loved one anytime you choose. But to visit for the purpose of slaughtering a goat or beheading some chickens....yeah,...I'm pretty sure that's illegal..

Not necessarily when the sun goes down, but when the hours are set, unless they're set for sundown. Going after hours is technically trespassing, and if you're caught you could be pressed with charges. But...most graveyards just kick people out when they catch you.

I don't know if it is illegal for one thing that the dead can sue for trespassing or something like that but people might wonder if you are a grave robber.

It is only illegal to enter a graveyard if it is closed and the gates are locked

Its all local law as far as that goes. town I grew up in you could be in the cemetary until 11 pm, where im at now 10pm.

But of course you can always find some goth kid or wanna be vamp in one.

You have to check the cemetary hours. Going to the Cemetary outside business hours is trespassing.

It's illegal if the gates are locked. Haven't you a party to go to?