Sciatic nerve pain during pregnancy?

My right hip is really hurting. Someone told me the baby is probably lying on my sciatic nerve. Anyone else had this and how did you relieve the pain?

Favorite Answer

I started getting this a few weeks ago. My doctor recommended I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees (as someone else already mentioned). It helps to align your spine correctly and relieve the pressure. He also recommended a heating pad, and I'm sure that ice would help too. I've found that taking a hot bath or shower also seems to help. Talk to your doctor at your next visit and see what he/she recommends. Good luck and congrats!

Source(s): 24 wks with my first.

My daughter loved to lay on my sciatic nerve! But it didn't get bad until the end of my pregnancy. I know there are specific stretches you can do but it's kind of hard to explain them in writing. The other thing I did, that helped a lot was getting a prenatal massage. You need a doctor's note to get one but they are so worth it and they help alleviate pain very well. And they're not too expensive. Good Luck and I know your pain!

Yep. Real fun! Wait until you are standing up and she is on it--it feels like someone just yanked your leg out from underneath you. If I was standing up for more than a few minutes, I always had to have a chair near, just in case.

Unfortunately, there was not much that could be done for me. Check the website below--they may have some ideas.

Source(s): babycenter.com

YES I DID!!! Oh it was just down right awful! Standing to long, or laying down, even sitting was practically unbearable. The only relief I got was heat....a nice heating pad right on my hip....also I tried to sleep with a pillow between my knees, its suppose to even out your spine and reduce pressure, not sure exactly.

Try to do some stretching and make sure you take a lot of breaks if you sit or stand for long periods of time. At night, I thought it was easier to sleep on my hip rather than the opposite side, it felt like it was pulling when I tried to sleep on the other side. By the way, it was my right hip too!

Ugh, I feel your pain! I have had it with this pregnancy along with my other two and there is not much you can do about it...except massage it. It takes some of the edge off!

Good luck!

I had this constantly with my first child and nothing helped. With this one since my baby is really active I just kind of poke him around and lay on the couch moving my leg. Eventually he will actually move and the pain subsides a little. Hope this helps.

1

• Wow, I had that pain. I still get it from time to time. The only thing that really ever helped me was sitting, and having someone massage it. I hope it gets better for you!

really there is nothin you could do but massage it and pray for it to move.