promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
cstoa10 asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Why are tan skinned people called olive skinned when olives are green or black?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That term usually refers to the people from the Mediterranean where olives are grown. Not to say that there are not any other places where they are grown, but that region is where they are grown more than others.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Well they are not really talking about olives.. they mean dark tanned people bc when u look at it in a way they may hae an olive tone like a dark but light enough to not be brown .. most of Italian people have an olive complection .. but not really grren or black if u no what i mean ?

i hope i helped

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I suppose for the same reason that I'm called white. If milk is white, then I'm not.

Some are called black, but are they the color of tar ? Did you ever see a red man, I mean really red like a fire engine ?

So olive isn't olive colored. White skin is not snow colored. Black skin is far from black. Red skin is only red when you get a really bad sun burn.

Source(s): common knwledge
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You could be right there. But green olives are usually not ready to be eaten. The common ones served in restaurants are the light brown coloured and pickled ones.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Maybe when they are referring to olive skin its the color of the olive oil... just a guess?!??!?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah, that's what I was wondering! Anyways I've been wondering for the last 40 years.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

all olives start off green.human processing makes them multicoloured.only martians are olive colored.

• 1 decade ago

black olives arent so popular cuz they aint good.

• 1 decade ago

Cause they look a lil lil olivish.

• 1 decade ago

it is just what we have always called them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.