cstoa10 asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Why are tan skinned people called olive skinned when olives are green or black?

Favorite Answer

That term usually refers to the people from the Mediterranean where olives are grown. Not to say that there are not any other places where they are grown, but that region is where they are grown more than others.

Well they are not really talking about olives.. they mean dark tanned people bc when u look at it in a way they may hae an olive tone like a dark but light enough to not be brown .. most of Italian people have an olive complection .. but not really grren or black if u no what i mean ?

i hope i helped

I suppose for the same reason that I'm called white. If milk is white, then I'm not.

Some are called black, but are they the color of tar ? Did you ever see a red man, I mean really red like a fire engine ?

So olive isn't olive colored. White skin is not snow colored. Black skin is far from black. Red skin is only red when you get a really bad sun burn.

Source(s): common knwledge

You could be right there. But green olives are usually not ready to be eaten. The common ones served in restaurants are the light brown coloured and pickled ones.

Maybe when they are referring to olive skin its the color of the olive oil... just a guess?!??!?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering! Anyways I've been wondering for the last 40 years.

all olives start off green.human processing makes them multicoloured.only martians are olive colored.

black olives arent so popular cuz they aint good.

Cause they look a lil lil olivish.

it is just what we have always called them