Can you buy Insurance Policy without a DL?

Scenario:

About to buy car but don't have DL. I wanna get it registered under the name of someone I live with who has a DL.Registration information is expired and it needs to be renewed(licence plates, transfer and all those costs) plus off course INSURANCE for registration. Can I buy the insurance policy without a DL or will I have to purchase it under the other person's name. Any hyperlinks to California Car Registration laws will be helpful as the DMV website doesn't directly answer my question.

Favorite Answer

Would be easier for you to get a DL.

Yes, you can buy a car without a drivers license and therefore insure it ...with you as the purchaser/ owner. Seniors do it all the time.

Remember you are insuring the car...list name of drivers in the household. List your name, too..as you may wish to get a learner permit and drive sometime in the future. Good luck.

Source(s): BMV official...IN

Yes. My dad hasnt driven or held a drivers license for many years now due to several medical conditions. Yet he has always bought cars for my mom and been the main policy holder on the insurance that covers the cars.

you can get a loan with out a driver license, you can get car insurence with out a DL too. Do not regester it in some one elses name. They'll screw you.

• jerry

no