DC to AC converter question?

i want to get a converter which plugs in the lighter, then powers ac appliances. what is the maximum wattage converter i can get? I`m pluggining it into a lighter of a car.

Favorite Answer

You will have the check the circuit for the lighter. I was looking at a converter to use by my laptop computer in the car and the lighter could not handle the current. I would have to connect the auxiliary cables that it came with directly to the battery.

You can go to any auto parts store and buy an inverter. It will convert the dc to ac. In terms of wattage, well hard to say. You are still powering off a car battery and your electrical system. Typically you could do a laptop, dvd player no problem. A plug strip plugged into the inverter with surge protection would NOT be a bad idea.

If you wanted to power a microwave that might not be very easy if at all possible.

Source(s): I own one (inverter) and entertained 5 boys with a laptop for 500 miles.

Such a device is called an "inverter," not a converter.

You can get them in numerous wattages...but most car lighter circuits can only supply 3-4 amps at the most. At 4 amps and 13 volts, that's 520 watts -- anything that draws more than that will likely fry a fuse in your car. A 500-watt inverter is pretty common, and will cost you around $80.

I am sure u cud not use a heater on it but I have seen people using vacuum cleaners thru this socket. The car battery is designed to give normally 20 amp or 240 VA output on normal running. I believe an invertor of half this figure shud be maximum that can be used in the jack.