bits asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Why is it that when you cook brownies, if you take them out then put them back they turn hard as a rock?

• Favorite Answer

The oven continue to have heat, even when off, until it cools down. This causes them to harden and dry out! This makes them hard..

I don't know.....brownies are still a mystery to me today. I try to take them out just before they are done. Anything after that is too done. And I would never put them back in the oven.

Happy New Year!

My mother told me there is a fine line between cooking a brownie and cooking it too long and making cake.

Because they are over cooked, take them out five minutes before time is up, they still continue to cook. You can serve them slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla Ice Cream.

from my experience, you have to be careful to not overbake them. They can't be checked just by looking. Use a timer and go by the recipe. They will be gooey and undone looking in the middle, unlike a cake that you stick a knife in and it comes out clean.

they dry out

• sounds like you over baked them....

they are overbaked.