Does anyone have problems with a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am electrical system?

All instruments lights flash for no reason.....

Favorite Answer

I have a grand am and have never had electrical problems. some problems in the electrical system are caused by aftermarket accessories (remote car starter, stereo etc.)- if you have none of those, it sounds like your BCM (body control module) is failing.

Source(s): Work at a GM shop
  • Deano

It sounds as if you are expierencing an intermittent fault. I would either suspect a main ground in the instrument panel area or the motor area. Check all modules for codes as this can be a clue with proper diagnosis. If there are theft codes in it but cannot find why, I would think you have an ignition switch with a resistance across some of the contacts which can cause all sorts of problems. If that is the case, replace the switch only as the lock is still good.

Source(s): I was a GM mechanic for years.

all grand ams have electrical problems, I have a 94 that sometimes the dash lights and head lights will go off for a couple of seconds and the low oil light and check engine light will flash once in a while for no reason at all, I look at the oil pressure gauge when it does that and it shows 40 lbs. of pressure so there is nothing wrong just typical grand am.

Grand ams "n body's" also Malibu's had problems with the ignition switches. They would have intermittent open in the switch that would cause the instrument lights to go into a bulb check mode.

• ?

Clean your battery terminals and make sure that they're bright and shiny. A bad connection there can goof all kinds of things up.

Also, you might want to consider getting your alternator tested as well. Good luck!

No, but you can get a schematic off of your on line local library database. I am not sure where you're located but you should be able to sign on and access with your library card.