Question about children's clothing sizes?

Okay so I understand the whole months thing. But it's when we start getting into the T's that confuses me. My daughter is 17 mos and 23 lbs- she is wearing ALL kinds of sizes. She still wears some 12 months, 18 months fit very well, some 24 months, 1 t's, and 2 t's. So what are the "T's" related to in months? Is a 1t supposed to be a 12 months?

Favorite Answer

Ok like you said the month thing you understand. It does get complicated sometimes. I have two boys that are two years apart in age and clothing sizes. the T stands for toddler. Generally my 2 year old wears a size 4T and my 4 year old wears a size 6T. I have rather large sons, the 4 year old is almost as tall as me already...Hope this helps you out.

And no, a 1T isn't like 12 months, everything you buy is going to be different, just depends on the brands..

The T stands for Toddler. My daughter is 2 and can wear 18 months all the way to 3T! I didn't know that there was a 1T, but Im sure that they are the same size. I know that a 2T is a little different than a 24 months. 2T seems a little more slimming. There are also 2slims!

• trhwsh

1t stand stands for 1 toddler and it is mostly in relation to the cloths accessability. The t's usually do not have buttons and what have you and they are for walking children and they usually don't have buttons in the crotch area. As far as the accual sizes and how they fit, well, just like adults cloths it depends on the company and style. My son was wearing all sorts of sizes at different stages and still does. The only thing that is consitant with him is his shoe size.

• Stimpy

Actually, I heard different from Kerry. My mom and I asked a salesperson at a children's store one time. The salesperson told us that the "t" size means "toddler" and assumes the child is potty trained - so less room in the booty for diapers.

So, if your 2-year old is not potty trained, she would need a 24 month size. But if she is potty-trained she would have a 2-T. The childrens' clothing industry assumes your child is toilet trained by 2 because obviously there is no 30 or 36 month size.

I thought the T's were suppose to leave more room for diapers.

1t is 12, 2t is 24 and so on

Yes 1T would be 1 yr and 2T would be 2 yrs and so forth.

I found it hard to buy my kids 2 piece outfits cause the shirt always fit but the pants never did.

It also depends on who makes the clothing. Some fit smaller than others.

No, once you hit Ts, it's supposed to just be like regular sizes: you wear what fits. It has nothing to do with age anymore.

Basically the number in front of the "T" is the age that the clothing is meant for. 2T would be 2 yrs. old, 3T would be 3 yrs. old and so on. Not all clothes that are meant for her age are going to fit appropriately. It all depends on the brand and make of the clothing.

24 months is 2T but taller and skinnier, I think T is year?