Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 1 decade ago

how does someone make there lungs stronger after quitting smoking?

because i love to swim and i want to be able to stay under water longer

Favorite Answer

Congratulations on quitting! That's great news. Now for the answer to your question. First off, follow the links below to find out the good news about the benefits of quitting that accrue over time. Statistically, after a period of time passes, you lung health is considered to be almost the same as someone who has never smoked.

# In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.

# In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.

# In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

# In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

Of course, that's just statistics and the benefits are determined by how long you've smoked and how old you are when you quit.

As for what else you can do to help your lungs. . . it's simple, exercise! Cardio-vascular exercise, i.e. running, biking, swimming etc. is the best thing you can do for your heart and lungs, next to stopping smoking, of course. If you can find a type of exercise that is fun for you then you'll be more likely to stick with it. It doesn't matter what it is as long as you do it regularly and it reaches a certain level of intensity. In fact, the swimming you're doing, including under water, will help improve lung capacity over time. I've provided links below for information on all of the above.

For more, and there's a LOT of information online, just enter cardiovascular exercise in the search engine of your choice.

Yoga and other exercise that includes breathing control techniques may also be helpful.

Good luck and a healthy new year!

• KILLERWINS5 years agoReport

I LIKE THE EAT DONUTS POST ... I'M SURE THATS THE MAGIC TRICK TO HEALTHY LUNGS .... WHAT A GREAT IDEA ... THANK YOU SO MUCH.

• Nicole

Natural Quit Smoking Magic

After I quit smoking I found that I gained my lung strength by swimming. It took a long time and I'm still trying to gain their full strength. Try to find a sport that you like, anything that will have you exercise your lungs. Congratulations on quitting and I hope that this information will help you!

Excercise and eating right will help them heal. The lungs totally regenerate themselves every 7 years. But the other issues that smoking has caused in your body will probably never go away.

Shastri breathing, a yoga technique. I used it when playing tennis, and went from near-death after four games to perfectly content after four sets.

It involves multiple distensions of the lungs and nose breathing, it's a bit complex to explain here, but any yoga source ought to point you the right way.

• shabo

i wish i knew how old u r cause i use to smoke I started at the age of 20 and at 47 i had open heart surgery so reguardless of what u want to do make quitting smoking your number 1 goal HAPPY NEW YEAR from an ex-smoker

Cigarette smoke can damage the cells of the lungs so much that the healthy cells go away, only to be replaced by cancer cells. Lungs are normally tough and strong, but when it comes to cigarettes, they can be hurt easily - and it's often very difficult or impossible to make them better. I would do light aerobic exercises to build stamina and then gradually progress.

I heard swimming and singing makes your lung stronger. I grab my inhalers to make my lungs stronger.

Eat Celery...good lung food

just swim more. the more you work at it, the quicker it will take. it also depends on how long you were smoking. if you had been smoking a long time, then it still might take awhile. but if you haven't been smoking a long time, then it might not take as long. but i say just swim a lot.