Why do some people soak turkeys in Coca-Cola before cooking them?

I mean, does it make it taste better? It doesn't sound like it would taste very good at all. I'm just curious.

Favorite Answer

I have only heard of basting hams in Coke or Pepsi, but not turkey.

Believe it or not, flat cola makes an excellent marinade for all sorts of meats and it does not impart a cola flavor to the meat. The cola should be at room temperature when you begin cooking. Cola adds sweetness to foods, particularly glazes and barbecue sauces and it seems that the citric acid in cola does tenderize meat to some degree.

People use a lot of different things for marinades. Coffee, cola, vodka, etc. I brine my turkeys before cooking because of osmosis, the turkey absorbs some of the brine (moisture) and it is more juicy when done.

I don't think people actually soak their turkeys in Coca-cola before cooking them. I think people tell you that b/c you're a gullible person and just might believe them and then try it yourself.

SOAK A TURKEY IN COKE. NEVER HEARD OF IT. BUT, AS THEY SAY, ANYTHING GOES THESE DAYS. I WOULD THINK THAT THE TURKEY WOULDN'T TASTE LIKE TURKEY ANYMORE. HOWEVER, I "HAVE" HEARD THAT SOME PEOPLE DO SOAK THEIR TURKEYS OR ROAST CHICKENS IN APPLE CIDER OR GINGERALE. I'VE NEVER TRIED IT, BUT THEY SAY THAT IT TENDERIZES IT AND GIVES IT A SWEETER TASTE. SO BE IT!!

i don't know why do some people soak turkeys in Coca-Cola before cooking them? (weird people)!!

I have never did turkey this way.But I have cooked ham this way.It gives it a nice glaze and lots of flavor.

My mom used to do this with pork chops. the flavor was really good. Gave it a nice glaze when baked.

I herd of beer with meat.But never heard of this but is interesting

to make it taste better