Doctor says it looks like Toximia or Preeclamsia. Im 31 weeks.?

I went for my last monthly last week and the doctor says I have symptoms of Toximia or Preeclamsia, are these conditions common or rare?

Not so sure on the spelling of preeclamsia?

Favorite Answer

Preeclampsia is quite common and occurs roughly in 20% of pregnancies. Noone knows exactly why women get this condition but it only occurs in pregnant women. Symptoms of Preeclampsia are high blood pressure, oedema (swelling of the ankles, wrists and some cases the face), flashing lights in front of the eyes, headaches and just generally feeling unwell.

They can tell if you have preeclampsia from taking urine samples. If they find protein in your urine you may have preeclampsia. They usually recommend bedrest and to stay off your feet. If your blood pressure is say 140/100 they can hospitilise you until your blood pressure goes down and in some cases if it becomes severe they can do an emergency c section if the blood pressure cant be controlled.

Im 41wks pregnant and have preeclampsia myself but my doctor wont do anything for me. My blood pressure is being controlled by bedrest and ive been told to just keep an eye on any swelling i have. If my blood pressure rises again and protein levels increase in my urine ive been told i will be induced on the spot to have baby (only because im so fullterm).

Just go by what your doctor says and make sure you keep an eye out for swelling, protein in your urine (which can only be checked by a urine test from a doctor or midwife) and a check on your blood pressure. Cheers and good luck.

Source(s): Preeclamptic @ 41wks 145/95
  • mimi

He should have explained to you, that Toxemia is very serious. You need to take excellent care of yourself, or you will have serious complications giving birth. I am speaking from experience, I had the condition with my last child, my blood pressure shot thru the roof and they could not give me any medication, I was in the hospital prior to giving birth, now this happened forty years ago. They have probably made some medicine that can help, I hope for your sake. You must avoid salt,

since the salt causes your bloodpressure to soar and you will have swelling,hands, face, legs. You need to be better informed about your condition, speak to your Physician and do some research on the Internet. Don't take this lightly. God Bless.

Edema is common amongst pregnant women, There is a condition called Toximia or pre-eclamsia that can cause high blood pressure and swelling. watch the salt intake Watch your BP,Try not to get to stress. I was a toximia baby. I turned out ok

!

• Gig

Common symptoms - but full blown preeclampsia is rare(ish) affecting only 5-8% of all pregnancies (as per http://www.preeclampsia.org/) Take what your doctor has told you about precautions seriously and rest up. Worse case with preeclampsia is death in both you and the infant. It's nothing to be taken lightly.

• Darby

They are quite common, but dangerous. Do exactly as the doctor has instructed. Stay away from salty, fatty, processed foods or fast foods (avoid lunch meat, bacon, ham, etc.). Drink a lot of water (within reason) and not a lot of sugared drinks. Prop your feet up whenever you can, but also move a bit more so your body functions. Congrats on the baby. Happy New Year.

Preeclampsia, pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH), and toxemia are essentially interchangeable terms used by your care provider for this disease.

If you are diagnosed with preeclampsia before your baby's due date, your care provider will occasionally want to prolong your pregnancy. If you are close to your due date, your care provider will most likely prepare you and the baby for delivery.

After delivery, the disease eventually goes away, and it is unlikely that you will suffer any long-term effects of the disease. Occasionally, there are complications that will require medical attention for a time after you deliver. This may include taking blood pressure medication and frequent follow-up visits with your care provider.

• ?

They are not that common but they will watch you very carefully over the next few weeks

A scenario is that if you progress to be eclamptic they will take the baby by C-section

• tichur

5-8% of pregnant women have Preeclampsia also known as toxemia. Read and learn about it below:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/pregcom...

Common, more so if your mother had it.

Only cure is birth, hang in there for 9 more weeks!

I have no idea, go to answers.com and find out, or google it and find a site about those symptoms.

Source(s): www.answers.com