Cake Decorating?

I cook for my family almost every day of the week, but I really enjoy sugar (who doesn't) and want to get more into baking. And I was wondering if you knew of any great books to help learning the basics of how to make really spectacular cake scultpures/decorations, and if you knew of any average-joe (not expensive) tools or icings that are typically used.

Favorite Answer

I got most of my info re cake decorating by looking at books in the library and at craft stores etc (this was before the internet).

But thought I'd mention my favorite average-joe home tool for cake decorating, and that's the plastic "spatula" that's the main part of a foam paintbrush (underneath the foam)... it's the pefect flexibility for smoothing out frosting (while turning the cake on a turntable). I haven't looked for awhile, but some of the foam brushes had a non-solid interior part which didn't work well for spreading frosting, so I was always "feeling" brushes to see if they were solid inside or had holes.

Cheapie plastic turntables for spices, etc., are another good home tool for cake decorating.

Diane B.

Anything by Wilton-books, tools, they have it all. A great place to start with very clear instructions and lots of fun.Also, I get the best results with the Duncan Hines cake mixes, even over homemade cakes, and it gives you more time for the fun stuff!

Also check into Yahoo groups to see if there is one that fits these interests.

Enjoy yourself, and Happy New Year!

Source(s): many happy hours spent in the kitchen !

I have been baking and decorating my family's birthday cakes since 1981. The very first book I bought to learn how to ice and decorate cakes...was THE WILTON WAY OF CAKE DECORATING.

I know you will learn all you need to know through these many books by Wilton. The books include how different icings are made,and how icing tips are used. You will have lots of pictures to look at of different cakes for different occassions.

Source(s): From experience.

Yep, Wilton was my leaning experience too. Have great books, lots of ideas.

everday cake is a good book. It helps ALOT.

ummm... start off with .. watching cooking shows( cake tourn.... IT IS AWESOME) I love to bake as well, i would just get anything that looks like ya could use it! (that is wat i do)

Source(s): ME COOKINg