Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Who remembers and can tell a bit about the band Midnight Oil?

I'm curious about what kind of group they were - where from, your reactions to them, popular opinion. 'Blue Sky Mine' is one of my favorite ironic commentaries on big business and its crap treatment of its dedicated laborers (kind of like Styx's celebratory 'Blue-Collar Man,' but better).

Thanks for the sites, but I'd also appreciate some personal opinions.

• Favorite Answer

This was one of the most UNDERRATED bands of the 80s who should've found greater success in America than they did. They were far more successful in the rest of the world. They had important things to say about issues that mattered to ALL HUMAN BEINGS. I think that's what us arrogant Americans failed to get. Midnight Oil told us the world DID NOT revolve around US (americans) but around all humans from every part of this planet. Thanks for reminding me of them. It's time for me to catch back up with them.

Happy New Years!

:-)

Source(s): NP: We Like To Party by Venga Boys

Check out the website www.Midnightoil.com. You might remeber hearing the song Beds are Burning from the 80's. Shows what the band has been up to and is doing now.

You can find out all about Midnight Oil through the link I left below.

I thought they were a good Aussie band. I remember that song with the lyric...How can we sleep while our beds are burning?...

they were a popular australian group, Peter Garrett, was the lead singer, (now in australian politics).

most of their songs, were to do with political issues, (and it worked).