Lina asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

What do you think about Sadam's "public" execution shown on every channel around the world?

Do you think that at least he should have the right to choose his own death penalty or not? and should that be shown on tv?

• carole
    Favorite Answer

I think it becomes none of us to gloat over the death of another. I think I heard MSNBC say they would not be running the video. I have been avoiding tv lest I do see it.

Peace!

This morning I was running on a treadmill at my local gym and soon after I started running, I had to stop. This TV channel was showing frozen images of Saddam's execution, over and over again. I think that the execution itself reflects and act of hate justifiable by this man's acts. However, showing the execution on an American TV channel as if the execution was a circus' act is deplorable and disgusting because journalists are doing it out of greed. I wonder if activist groups are taking any action against the TV channels' behavior with respect to this act. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I was glad it wasn't on every channel. I was actually surprised it was not shown more than it was. We don't need to be reveling in any one's death, no matter who they are or what they did. He's dead, the whole world doesn't need to see it.

No he should not have chosen is own penalty. He didn't give any one that he had killed a choice.

(Joe Shemo that was "Yesterday's Gone" sung by Chad & Jeremy written by David Stewart & Wendy Kidd)

It served no useful purpose that I can see. I understand that public execution is part of their law over there, so ok for them. I'm sure that some of the people needed to see an end to the terror that our government put on them in the first place. I fervently hope that the current terror we have caused them ends soon.

When all religions teach forgiveness and declare that vengeance belongs to God, it amazes me that people are so vengeful and ghoulish about things like that. I think an example of the way people should behave is the way the Pennsylvania Dutch behaved when the gunman killed 5 of their innocent children. Revenge does not bring back lost loved ones. God makes sure what goes around comes around so people should just let go and let God.

It was kind of like an old western movie where all the vulgar ignorant peasants gather to watch some bandit/s being hung. I cannot see the entertainment value in watching anyone being put to death. There are some very sick puppies out there.

I don't think it was 'publicized' per se. I think one of the Iraqi guards took a video of the procedure on his cell phone and then transferred it onto the website. It was illegally done.

I didn't see it, but I've heard about it. It was not cool to do something like that.

Just because he was evil/sick, doesn't mean that we should all give in to temptation and indulge ourselves in the death of a man... which is what he was at the end of the day - a man and now he's dead. We don't need to see the footage, it's pointless.

I think it shows us just how barbaric we really are. No matter what he did or what his punishment should be, I'm not going to watch someone being put to death. We should be above that by now.

Great day in recent history. Justice has been served for millions he murdered.