Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Why do my parents keep giving me more guilt trip as i'm getting older?

I'm in my twenties and i noticed that they'll try to persuade me to do other things rather than stay in tune with my plan - this could be long term/short term plan - they'll give me guilt trip and try to persuade me stuff they want me to do....why?

Favorite Answer

It's a control issue that undermines your adulthood and independence. Respect your parents; however, stick to your plans, goals, and dreams. They will accept your decisions and learn to live with it, if you do not display any reaction to these petty control actions.

Somebody said that the main word in parenting is "Should've".

Maybe the guilt trip is theirs, not thinking they're doing enough, and/or not quite understanding what your plans are. Remember, parents, particularly these days, came from a different world. They may just be in the wrong key.

This could get unnecessarily complicated if everybody's busy missing the other's points. See if you can get an answer about what they're trying to achieve.

No one can make you feel guilty but you. Your parents don't control your emotions. Don't let them put guilt on you. They want you to do things maybe the way should of in their youth but didn't do it, and now they are trying to keep you from making the same mistake. But live and learn. And if you live with your parents it time to move out.

You no longer need their permission to do what you want in life.

My wife's father does this. She is 50! And he still gives guilt trips. We did not go to his MANDATORY christmas party, first time in 30 years, so he went to the hospital with chest pains. We still did not come, so a couple of hours later, he was back home crying that no one loves him.

New years is tomorrow, and we are NOT going to his MANDATORY new years party either. Another probable trip to the hospital.

Parents like to be in control, and realize that they really dont have any over you anymore so they are trying to get their last bit in while they can. Follow your heart and stick to your plan be your own woman!

My cousin in 25 and experiencing the same thing she just tells them what she will do and as soon as she is done with grad school and financially free she hopes they will support her but if they don't she will do it anyways.

Because a lot of parents don't want to see their off spring grow up.

Because they are your parents, they love you and think they know what's best for you. Maybe they do. You didn't give an example so it's hard to judge.

you'll always be their little baby. and i don't wanna sound preachy but just soak it up unless they really try to change your life. and sometimes parents want to live their dreams through their children. and they probably miss you. so visit them and try to show them that you love them . sometimes they just want you to listen to what they have to say.

they still want control over u.they dont want to face the fact that u r ur own person and is an adult