Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog doesn't want to chase a ball. Is something wrong?

We bought her a Dog Christmas stocking and it had two packets of treats and a ball, but she doesn't want to play with it. Is something wrong? Is there any way to convince her to play with the ball?

Favorite Answer

some dogs dont like to play with toys or chase balls, just find out what he likes doing.

Sometimes it depends on the breed of the dog. Not all the dogs like playing with those objects. I have 3 dogs at home and only one of them likes playing with a ball and chasing it (American Cocker) the other two (Chow-Chow and a Chihuahua) do not react to a ball or any other toy , but they enjoy going for a walk. Just in case, talk to its vet to make sure that everything is fine with it.

My dog loves balls but not every kind. The hard rubber ones that sometimes have a bell in them. NOT, he won't play with those or tennis ball aren't his favorite either. But when I got him racquet's balls I hit the jackpot. They are very sturdy but pliable and just the right size for many dogs mouths.

When he was a small puppy we started with whiffle balls. So get an assortment and see what your girl likes.

One of my dogs thinks balls are for bozos and only likes to play with stuffed animals, well kill them actually.

Source(s): That dog stocking stuff is not my dogs cup of tea either.

Well, start the dog out with a stuff animal toy and some chew bones and cotton in a pantyhose.

After playing with these soft toys, they come around to balls

some dogs don't like chasing balls.

Try buying a pair of slippers that look like a racoon or rabbit, ones that you can sacrifice. If the dog does not go completely berserk and want to kill them, there is something wrong, and you should get a cat.

Thanks.

My boyfriend has two adult great danes. The female loves to fetch (or her version of it) but the male is not interested. I think it's just a dog's individual personality.

any dog can be taught to fetch a ball, try obediece training and books to help explain how to. my dog would not fetch untill i learnt how to teach her now no problem using positive reinforcement(treats) on retrievement.

rod

well she doesn't seem like she likes it sometimes dogs just aren't it all depends on the breed u can go to the store and the have balls that are made of food that might incourage her

some dogs just dont like playing with balls what kind of dog is it ???.... you can try other toys like a laser pointer and a frisbee

goodness no. we bought 2 raw-hide doggie bones for my dogs. one of them refuses to chew it. for the other one we make her think it is attacking her and then she will start chewing it. it helps keep her occupied and clean her teeth. in other words, make your dogs think that the toy is something bad so it will chew it