Is it right for my husband to tell me not to talk to my girlfriend i know before i married him?

Favorite Answer

NO it is NOT right for him to try to CONTROL you and who you are talking to. This is a dangerous sign. I have been there and had that done to me when I was married the first time. Get out while the getting is good and safe.

Source(s): common sense and been there done that
  • John B

Not enough information for anyone to give you a helping answer.

If your girlfriend was a bad influence on you or he felt because she didn't like he she may turn you against him then he has a legitimate concern.

If there is no valid reason for him to object then he is trying to control you and you better watch out. This would be only the first of many.

Sorry I can't help.

No its not right! You are your own person whether you are married or not. Your husband has no right to tell you who you can talk to and who you can not talk to. If my husband told me i could only talk to certain people i would have to hurt him! Thank god my husband is not that kind of person.

Just tell him, "Hey i am a woman and i will do as i please and not you or any man is going to tell me who i can talk to." "We are married and if this marriage is going to work you have to let me be my own person." I married you because i love you and believe in us, not so that you could tell me what to do." I am your wife and you are my husband not my father." See what he has to say to that!

It will probable knock him on his butt due to you are standing up for yourself!!!!

No your husband should not tell you who and who not you can speak to.. especially if you knew her before you got with him.. That is definately some **** you should look out for. That is one of the first signs of a controlling and abusive husband.. Watch out for him and stand up for yourself if he tries to boss you around like that!!

No, he is being controling, that is emotional abuse and just as bad as physical abuse. I doubt very much if he would allow YOU to tell him not to talk to friends he had before you were married...you have a right to keep your friendships.

GIRL, WHEN YOU GET MARRIED TO THIS MAN... ITS NOT ABOUT YOU ANY MORE....ITS WHAT MAKES YOU GUYS TICK......YOU GUYS BECOME ONE......AND THE THINGS THAT YOU USE TO DO WITH GIRLFRIEND HAVE TO BE CURVED.. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN...SIT HIM DOWN AND TALK TO HIM...ASK HIM WHY OR TELL HIM HOW YOU FEEL.....AND THEN YOU HAVE TO MAKE UP IN YOUR MIND WHATS MORE IMPORTANT: YOUR HUSBAND/YOUR FRIEND...IT MAY SEEM HARD BUT ITS FAIR......ITS TIME TO GROW UP NOW.. WHEN WE DO THAT WE SUPPOSE TO PUT AWAY OLD THINGS AND GET NEW ONES....NOT SAYING THAT YOU NEED TO GET RID OF HER COMPLETELY...BUT LIMIT YOUR TIME WITH HER ESPECIALLY IF SHES SINGLE....LET HER GET HER A LIFE.....

If you were friends before and he didn't like her then he should just accept that he may not always approve of your friends. There must people friends of his that you don't like. Do you tell him not to talk to them? You need to sit down with him and talk to him about how you feel.

Only if you think that it's right that he has the say so of who you can and cannot talk to.

Is there a reason behind him telling you this? Has she done something that has earned his distrust? Are you newly married? Does he tell you how to behave in other situations?

• Shay

No this is not right. You can have friends. This may be a way of him trying to control you.