promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 decade ago

How to make a project on the earth's size?

this is arobb i need to make a project on the earth's size and i need help?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

if you want a 100percent A then get styrofoam balls of different size and paint them according to the different planets. allign them from largest to smallest and then talk about the earths population how many people it holds and all that other stuff such as land mass in all and stuff

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I like what tnguyen said above - I have seen styrofoam balls used ( you can get them in all sizes at a crafts store) and you illustrate the size of the Earth (use documentation of the Earth size in miles and the comparison planets sizes in miles) .

I have even seen Solar System kits at craft stores - otherwise you will have to figure our the comparative proportions of your items.

Put them raised up rom a flat surface and give all the scientific facts you can. You may want to give more facts about the Earth - like the crust (19-37 miles thick), the Mantle (1,800 miles thick), The Outer Core ( 1,800 miles thick) and the Inner Core (760 miles thick).

See - you already have a start. I am a Geography teacher - this will be good.

• 1 decade ago

Create a spreadsheet where each cell = 1 mile. Spreadsheets are incredibly big pieces of paper.

Mile 0 = you are here.

Mile 2 = Home

Mile xxx=Alabama

Mile xxx= Dallas

Mile xxxx=Paris

Mile xxxx= Australia

Have each of the students suggest a several destinations. Scrolling up and down that list will make the point.

Google Earth has a measurement tool.

--------

I did the same thing to get a scale on Big Bang until present. Each cell was 10,000 years.

• 1 decade ago

How about a solar system that compares Earth's size accuratly with the other planets. E.g. if earth is half the size of neptune then neptune should be twice as large as earth in the model.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Read about Eratosthenes. More than 2,000 years ago, he used shadows to figure out the size of the earth.

See this website, or many others:

http://www.astro.washington.edu/labs/eratosthenes/...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Use a billiards ball. If the earth, with all it's mountains and such, were reduced to that size it would feel smoother than a billiards ball.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.