Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 1 decade ago

how do you get wax out of a sweatshirt?

I was reaching over a candle, now i have wax on my sweatshirt...what do i do to get it off??

Favorite Answer

Take a brown paper bag and put it over the area that has the wax and iron on low. The wax will melt inot the bag. Now if it has any color, I'm not sure if the color will come out as well.

I followed this to get wax off my tablecloth. Lay the shorty on an ironing board, and place a plain paper sack over the wax stain (Iwould also place one under the shirt so the wax does not go through to the next layer). Apply a warm (not hot) iron to the paper. Replace the wax-saturated paper bag as needed. Continue until wax is no longer transferring to the paper.

Treat colored candle stains with a prewash stain remover, or apply detergent directly on the spot prior to washing. Wash the sweatshirt with detergent in the hottest water that's safe for the fabric. Wax-based stains must be melted to be removed from the fabric fibers. Make sure the stain is completely removed before placing it in the dryer.

You can also try hint from heloise below

All those answers work fairly well for clear or white wax... freezing, melting it out, etc. But if the wax is colored, then you have a dye stain to deal with too.

First, determine if the wax is a natural product like beeswax or bayberry, or if it's paraffin. Freezing and the ironing trick work best on natural products.

I just got a large, dark green paraffin wax candle stain completely out of my new no-iron cream Christmas tablecloth. I dissolved the paraffin with plain (non-soapy) ammonia. Then I used a combination of Desolvit, Carbona's #3 Ink & Crayon remover and the Stain Remover found in the Dryel home dry cleaning box. Not sure which worked cause I alternated them, blotting gently with white paper toweling and a wad of paper towelling underneath. It took about half an hour of careful, tedious blotting and changing the paper towelling often, but it all came out and it's like new.

All three products are inexpensive and available at the grocery store, and claim to be safe on any fabric except silk.

Source(s): experience

The freezer thing works but this way ALWAYS works for me and I get ALOT of wax down me. Let the wax dry, then put some brown paper over the wax and iron it from the other side. This melts the wax which instantly sticks to the paper. The problem with letting it melt is that often the wax can break up and you get 'wax dust' whihc just won't shift. When you melt, all the wax is removed.

:)

You put a paper towel over the wax and then iron over it, it will make the wax go into the towel and off the shirt

Get a paper towel and a hot iron. Place the paper towel over the wax, and iron the top of the paper towel. It will pick all the wax right up.

Take a paper sack or a paper towel over it and then iron over that. The wax will melt into the paper bag or the paper towel and walla, it will be out of your shirt.

Source(s): Experience with wax in the carpet....

place wax paper over the area and take a normal iron and iron over the wax paper, it should come right off.

Maybe stained from oils in the wax. Can try Carbona brand stain remover. Many diff. kinds. There is one for fat, grease & oil. I have used some of the other stain removers by them and actually pulled out washed/dryed ink stains. Also blood stains. (health care worker)

• jen

I know you can get wax off of alot of things by putting it in the freezer and then it pulls right off! Try that!