If you're 24 weeks pregnant and want to have a drink for new years, is that ok?

I'm thinking only one glass of wine...

Favorite Answer

It's hard to say, because everyone has a different opinion. My doctor told me when I was pregnant I could have a glass of wine or a beer every once in a while, I couldn't even think about it without wanting to puke, I you feel like you want one and you only have one i see no problem with that. All the way up until the early 80's women drank while pregnant because of no warnings out there, now there is but fetal alcohol syndrome is caused by excessive drinking mainly alcoholics. Your the mother you make the choice. Unlike on e of the poster's said this woul dnot make you a bad mother. Congrats on the baby and have a happy new year!

Andrea

Sheesh, what a lot of American "experts."

"NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Any consumption of alcohol during pregnancy should be considered child abuse."

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, I say.

"It seems, however, as if the American government, medical authorities and media have not been telling American women the entire truth. Although the official message is "don't drink at all during pregnancy", a great deal of recent research and a re-examination of the alcohol-pregnancy issue show that there is no conclusive evidence to demonstrate that moderate drinking during pregnancy can harm the fetus.

According to Doctors David Whitten and Martin Lipp of the University of California at San Francisco, "the campaign against drinking during pregnancy started in 1973 when several studies showed that heavy drinking during pregnancy can cause the condition known as the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. These studies demonstrated that the children of many alcoholic mothers were born with a cluster of severe birth defects. "What the government conveniently chose to ignore" say Whitten and Lipp, is that this syndrome is extremely rare, occurring only 3 times in 100,000 births, and then only when the mother drinks abusively throughout her pregnancy."

Lipp and Whitten, whose "To Your Health" was published in 1995, are among an increasing number of doctors and researchers who feel that pregnant women have no reason to fear drinking a glass of wine every day. As revealed by contributing editor Thomas Matthews in the August 31, 1994 issue of the "Wine Spectator" magazine which was devoted largely to this controversy, "there is even new research that shows that moderate drinking during pregnancy may actually help the development of the child after birth.""

http://dovercanyon.typepad.com/women_wine_critics_...

See also:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/FetalAlcoholSyndr...

wow...You are almost due huh? Well, drinking is your own personal choice, but keep in mind that your baby consumes whatever it is you do, and they don't have a choice to be overwhelmed with alcohol. If you are pregnant and think you need a drink to ring in the new year, then it will probably be more than just 1 glass of wine. Just stop....don't drink, think of your baby

One glass of wine. Common misconception is that wine coolers are indeed wine- which is false. Wine coolers are malt liquor and should be stayed away from. Try to get a wine with a very low alcohol volume if you MUST drink. My dr. always told me a glass of wine here and there wouldn't hurt anything but I didn't do it for fear of hurting the baby's brain development.

Damage can still happen. If you insist on toasting, I would say take a sip of wine and give the glass to someone else.

You will see many more years come and go that you can have a real drink to. Be fair to your baby.

have a half a glass of red wine. In Italy all pregnant woman drink red wine with dinner. My last pregnancy I did not drink at all but when I get pregnant again I will have a half a glass of wine at dinner not to get drunk but just for enjoyment.

You can drink but maybe just one small glass of wine. Don't drink wines when you are pregnant, it might hurt the baby in your tummy.

I've heard ONE glass of wine is okay. I'm still having morning sickness here and there so I'm not going to chance it. If I were in your situation I'd take a sip of wine and let that be that! Good luck!

Im 41wks pregnant and havent had a drink in over a year. I have been told by doctors and read articles on drinking while pregnant. It is now said that there is no safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant. Any amount of alcohol can do a fetus harm at any stage.

The alcohol passes through your body, then through the placenta to the baby. Would you feed a newborn baby alcohol? If your answer is no then why would you do it with your unborn child? Every smoke, drink of alcohol or drug you take goes directly to your child. Remember that.

Maybe a glass of wine but nothing harder!!!! But seriously im 7 weeks pregnant and im not even chancing a glass of wine.