What dog should a get a golden retriver or golden lab?

Favorite Answer

Golden lab. Labs in general are better natured. But basically it is up to you . They are both beautiful dogs and make good pets. I am partial to labs because I've never been around one I didn't like. They are loyal and good with kids as well as adults. I have a friend whose black lab is her seeing eye companion. So they are smart as well. I had a golden lab named Clyde when my kids were small and he was great.

I hope you mean by Golden Lab a golden-color labrador. Because a Goldenlab is just another designer dog, a lab mixed with a golden retriever. And it is nothing more than a mutt.

I of course love goldens and have trained so many labradors that I would never want one of my own.

Just remember they are large breeds that are working dogs and require a lot of exercise and playtime, or else they will become fat and lazy. This happens far too often, so I never recommend a golden as the "perfect family dog" as so many people love to label it.

Goldens are smart, labs are smart. But I think goldens are better looking. There are just way too many labradors out there, especially the yellows. I prefer the Choco varieties.

Check out the www.akc.org for more information on both breeds.

Get a Golden Reitreiver cross Lab!

I think you mean Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever, in the yellow color? Golden Retriever is a breed's name, & Labrador Retriever is another breed's name - and they come in yellow, black, or chocolate colors.

Both being retrievers, they are mostly the same in personality. It is more a choice of whether you like the longer coat of the Golden, or the shorter coat of the Lab.

FYI to some answerers: Both shed, but the Labs shed more actually.

Source(s): I worked for vets.

Honestly, there is little difference between the two. Both shed, are high energy and easy to train. As puppies both are equally mouthy- that is they tend to chew things they should not and this lasts for a couple of years- and have about the same health problems. However, because of over-breeding you have to be careful to go to a reputable breeder; the temperments have started to change a little in the last few years.

That being said, I prefer Goldens (but would never own either...just not my type of dog).

Source(s): Veterinary Technicians; dog breeder/exhibitor 21 years.

I say a retriever, that's what I have. Both are going to shed, so it just depends on if you want shorter corse hairs, or longer soft hairs. My golden has the sweetest temperment. My 2 year old nephew can pretty much do anything he wants to him, and the dog doesn't care. They are great family pets, and companions. The breeder I got my dog from just started a website if you are interested in a golden. At least there are cute pictures there even if you just want to look. www.mcdonaldgoldens.com

There is no Golden Lab..it is a yellow Lab.Labs come in Black, yellow and chocolate.

I would study the breeds and meet some from each breed. I would also talk to some responsible breeders and then make an informed decision on which breed fits you best.

Source(s): dog trainer 35 years

I grew up with a Golden Lab (a Golden Retriever/Labrador mix). And she was a great dog.

I like Golden Lab better~

Golden retrievers pretty much act like caffeined out retards. Labs on the other hand are awesome.