Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 decade ago

Can someone with H.I.V adopt a child?

Im doing a report on freedom, and I need to know if there are any restraints on a adopting a kid.

Can someone give me a link, about this.

Favorite Answer

It's highly unlikely that someone with H.I.V. would be approved to adopt an infant or young child. There is no written law against it, just like there is probably no written law against criminals adopting a child, but discretion prevents it from happening.

An H.I.V. infected parent would impose unnecessary hardship and emotional distress on the child. The only way such an adoption is likely to be approved is if the child is older and already has a relationship with the adult; and if there are no other family members or adults who the child is attached to.

Source(s): http://www.weblocator.com/attorney/ca/law/c08.html... In california, there are no specified "restraints" for adopting shildren.

It is illegal to discriminate against someone for being HIV positive and people who are HIV positive are not required to disclose that information to anyone.

Some people who are HIV positive lead relatively normal lives and you would never know they are sick.

Others are very ill and are somewhat fragile. It is possible someone may not be able to adopt because their lifestyle (ie, they are sick all the time and would not be able to take care of a child responsibly) would prevent them from being a good candidate.....but that is an issue seperate from whether or not they are HIV positive

good question. i have no flippin clue.

hopefully not